Responsible for ensuring an effective supply chain is in place at all times, and that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within Medair country programmes. The role provides strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of logistics, ensuring relevant information, reporting and accountability requirements are met. The Logistics Manager also plays an important role in external representation, legal compliance, team leadership and capacity building of logistics staff.
Medair is working under the registration of World Concern in Bangladesh and based in Cox’s Bazar. We have 3 Nutrition centres, 3 Medical Mobile teams and a Shelter distribution project. The main aim of our project is to provide essential services to the Rohyingya people in Bangladesh.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Take a look at Medair’s work in Bangladesh
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
September 2018, Full time 12 months
Key Activity Areas
Logistics Management – Supply chain
- Provide the technical oversight and ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained according to Medair standards.
- Work in close cooperation with World Concern and other team members, sharing information on the assessments and proposed interventions, providing overviews of logistics requirements for the development of project proposals and subsequent projects.
- Manage the procurement process in accordance policies and procedures. Provide planning support and advice, identify optimum supply routes, and maintain continuous overview of supply needs by providing updated procurement and fulfilment plans.
- Locate and negotiate contracting for storage that is secure, well-maintained, and meets health and safe working practice requirements. Ensure proper record keeping for the receipt, storage, etc.
- Ensure transportation is in line with programme budgets and needs; ensuring the most cost effective.
Logistics Management – Resources
- Ensure management of vehicle fleets is in line with Medair standards; ensure appropriate allocation and safe use of vehicles throughout the programme.
- Supervise all equipment and assets including communication, IT and power, to ensure that equipment are managed diligently, operated in the most cost efficient manner, and maintained appropriately.
- Represent Medair and World Concern in a professional manner contributing to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization.
- Proactively engage with World Concern and other partners, suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs, clusters and any other stakeholders, in order to plan, organise, and schedule distribution of goods.
- Compile and validate the logistics component of all base and project budgets.
- Monitor spending of assigned budgets, and ensure they operate in line with guidelines.
- Manage and motivate staff with integrity and foresight, and in accordance with HR procedures and policies to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism.
- Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor requirements and in accordance with Medair/World Concern, donor, country and international standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or a related field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum one year relevant logistics and management experience in emergency or development.
- Experience in budget management and the able to prepare timely, complete and accurate reports.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in the logistics sector.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work independently, as a member of a team and in partnership.
- Strong organisational abilities, excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Diplomatic, especially for working with partners, authorities and suppliers.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the compliance/regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies.
- Strong leadership and project management skills.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.