Background Information - UNOPS Myanmar
Myanmar is one of UNOPS leading offices in Asia, acting as fund manager for three of the largest development programmes in the country, namely the Access to Health Fund, the Livelihood and Food Security Fund (LIFT) and the Joint Peace Fund (JPF). In addition, UNOPS Myanmar is Principal Recipient for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in Myanmar and Cambodia, and for the Global Fund Regional Artemisinin-resistance Initiative targeting drug resistant malaria in the Greater Mekong sub-region. UNOPS provides procurement, infrastructure and project management services to a wide range of organizations in the country, including the Government of Myanmar, international development partners, other UN agencies, NGOs and INGOs. UNOPS Myanmar plays a critical role in ensuring that the quality of services provided to its partners meets stringent requirements of speed, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Background Information – Job Specific
UNOPS Myanmar Infrastructure Unit pursues infrastructure opportunities and implements infrastructure projects in many regions throughout Myanmar. The M&E Construction Supervisor will support a project to design and construct the expansion of the Sittwe General Hospital in Sittwe, Rakhine State. The hospital expansion will contribute to Myanmar health vision 2030.
- Functional Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the M&E Construction Supervisor will provide support to the field based construction supervisors and provide quality and quantity control to all M&E related works. Following the schedule of works, the M&E construction supervisor will be responsible to travel to site and supervise the quality and progress of all Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing related works. S/he will provide daily updates to the Project Manager and will communicate and coordinate with the UNOPS infrastructure team, contractors and with internal and external entities for successful completion of the project.
S/he will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities;
- In coordination with the full time construction supervisors, identify existing electricity related problems and suggest appropriate solutions in consultation with the Project Manager.
- Assist in the oversight of the implementation of works for the specific projects and monitoring of progress of electricity related works according to contract schedules, specifications and project plans.
- Collect and document information on the contractor’s work force, weather, progress of work and any other related information that links directly with the electricity network works.
- Undertake measurement of electrical site works in support of contractor payment requests.
- Ensure the strict implementation of quality control standards and procedures on the sites and report regularly to the supervisor.
- Assist in the preparation of progress reports on construction activities and submission of such on a weekly basis to the supervisor.
- Assist in the implementation of Environmental and Health & Safety measures in the project sites.
- Assist in the identification, evaluation, selection and supervision of building contractors for specified project work.
- Monitor and record appropriate field data to validate contractors’ compliance to cross-cutting issues (gender, environment, sustainability, health and safety on site, etc.) as stipulated in the contract and detailed in the construction work programme.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Works will be closely supervised by the Project Manager
- Report site work progress to the Project Manager on daily basis
- Education, Experience and Language Requirement
Master Degree in electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, or civil engineering with strong background in MEP or other related fields. A bachelor degree with additional 2 years of experience in relevant to the above duties maybe accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
- Work Experience
- Minimum 2 years of working experience in M&E construction supervision for buildings is required.
- Experience working with UN or other Humanitarian/Development agencies is an asset.
- Experience in a contracting and/or consulting environment is an advantage.
- Intermediate level in written and spoken English and fluency in Myanmar language is required.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
About the Organization
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Working in more than 80 countries, UNOPS supports partners in the implementation of approximately 1,000 projects, which range from managing the construction of roads in South Sudan to building shelters in Haiti to procuring educational computers in Argentina.UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects it supports.
Working with UNOPS
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We’re looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in many disciplines, from project management, to procurement, infrastructure, finance and human resources. The work we do is fulfilling and offers opportunities for professional and personal development.
Watch this video to learn more about working with UNOPS
With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce as a means of better understanding and addressing the needs of our partners, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage the recruitment of qualified female candidates. Moreover, the vast majority of our personnel are nationals, working in their own country and developing local capacity.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options, such as flexi-time, compressed work schedules and telecommuting. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types across the globe.