Title: M&E Manager, African Alliance for Improved Food Processing
Reports to: COP/Program Manager, Ethiopia
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe is an international, non-profit economic development organization founded in 1968 out of a conviction that a vibrant private sector is an essential foundation for economic growth and poverty reduction. TechnoServe undertakes targeted, catalytic technical assistance and other programming to increase the competitiveness of entrepreneurs, businesses and industries that in-turn provide sustainable employment, inclusion of the poor and increased incomes. TechnoServe operates in 25 developing countries with over 1000 employees. A substantial portion of our work is in agriculture, enhancing farm productivity and commodity quality and addressing gaps in processing and other agribusiness capacities. Our programs increase smallholder access to new technologies, aggregation and storage mechanisms, markets, critical information and finance. TechnoServe also undertakes structured programs to identify and support high potential entrepreneurs in various sectors through leadership mentoring networks, formalization support, access to capital and development of sustainable business services such as accounting, finance, marketing and human resource management.
II. Program Description:
TechnoServe seeks a Monitoring and Evaluation Manager (MEM) for a potential USAID-funded alliance for improved wheat processing in Ethiopia. This program will be implemented in partnership with Partners in Food Solutions (PFS), a collection of some of the world’s leading food companies lending their expertise to support technology transfer to African food processors. The overall goal of the program is to increase the availability of nutritious wheat based products to the Ethiopian population. The objective is to build the capacity of wheat processors to improve quality, nutrition and availability of wheat based products; with a complimentary emphasis on supporting the Government of Ethiopia’s push towards eventual mandating of fortified flours. TechnoServe and PFS will replicate a delivery model they are already implementing in other African countries.
This position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with extensive internal travel and occasional regional travel. The MEM will report to the Program Manager (PM) and will liaise with the broader regional team within this TechnoServe/PFS alliance. The MEM will support the PM in developing a robust M&E plan and tracking the impact of the program across the program’s two year period. The M&E plan will need to align closely with the desired impact objectives of USAID as well as TechnoServe and PFS.
III. Position Description:
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a robust M&E plan to monitor the impact of the program, including defining indicators, targets and the measurement and analyzing of this data.
- Provide guidance and oversight to M&E team on data collection, dissemination and reporting
- Design and execute field-level surveys, including training and supervising field staff and data quality assurance
- Develop structures for monitoring program activities and providing regular feedback to senior program staff
- Develop M&E reports on progress against key milestones and deliverables
- Build in both statistical and social measurement tools to best determine the full impact of the program
- Support communications with partners on progress
- Liaise with USAID, TNS and PFS to ensure alignment on impact measurement, to share lessons learnt from data analysis and to develop case studies of key successes/challenges to support the programs development
- Update existing IT systems that will allow for regular and ongoing aggregation, analysis and reporting of monitoring data;
- Establish an M&E calendar for the duration of program that lays out start and end dates for major M&E deliverables, regular periodic analysis of data to identify and communicate lessons-learned, and regular periodic presentation of data and analyses to program management
IV. Required Skills & Experience:
- Advanced degree in Economics, Business Administration or other relevant field
- At least 3 years relevant M&E experience (e.g., international SME development programs, donor projects, preferably USAID projects)
- Experience living and working in sub-Saharan Africa, Ethiopia-specific experience strongly preferred
- Strong understanding of M&E tools and current methods in data collection and analysis
- Experience developing and managing M&E plans
- Results oriented, with proven track record of working to achieve project targets
- Knowledge of USAID regulations and procedure preferred
- Verbal and written fluency in English; in addition Amharic fluency is a strong advantage
- Demonstrated capacity to produce high quality reports and proposals
- Previous successful experience mentoring and building capacity of staff
TechnoServe is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are encouraged to apply.