Afghanistan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Activity (AMELA)
The purpose of AMELA is to provide monitoring, evaluation, and learning support services/assistance to strengthen the implementation of USAID development programs in Afghanistan, and to build the technical M&E knowledge and skills of USAID/Afghanistan Mission staff and stakeholders. The services provided under AMELA will contribute to supporting USAID/Afghanistan as an effective development organization with strong learning and adaptive management processes.
**Please note: Only Afghan citizens are eligible for this position**
The M&E Specialist will play a critical role in managing evaluations, assessments and other tasks assigned to the AMELA Evaluation Team. Assisting the Senior Evaluation Team Lead, and the Deputy Evaluation Team Lead, specialists will be expected to work closely with a variety of stakeholders to ensure that the quality of deliverables submitted under component one adheres to the SOWs, and to the standards set forth in ADS 201. As project manager for a task, the M&E Specialist will be responsible for “taking ownership” for the efficient and successful accomplishment of task. This position is based in Kabul with potential travel to other Afghan cities.
Estimated Level of Effort: Full Time
NTA Rate: Grade C, Steps 1-5
- Project manage evaluation and task teams along each phase of the task cycle, including: conceptualization and client engagement, recruitment, task design, data collection, data analysis, and report drafting;
- Meet schedules and key deliverable dates;
- With the team leader, ensure the completion of the SOW;
- Take notes for all meetings involving key external stakeholders;
- Assist in the drafting of task design documents;
- Draft SOWs and other documentation during the recruitment process;
- Onboard STTA staff into the Kabul office and help them to understand the practical implications of their SOW;
- Assist the Evaluation Leads and any STTA hires to draft, test, and finalize study tools and instruments;
- Manage teams during data collection, including: coordinating travel, transport, and accommodation, ensure that sampling and field work plans concur, accompany the team in the field and participate in data collection, check quality of transcripts, field notes, and other data, and troubleshooting as needed;
- Contribute to the analysis of data and drafting of findings and recommendations;
- Lead team planning meetings and analysis workshops as needed, including running analysis workshops, ensuring that the team follows
- ‘analysis plans” and the methodologies designated in the evaluation plans are followed, running thematic coding teams, and assisting the Team Leader in drafting presentations for USAID;
- Contribute to report drafting as needed;
- Maintain version control of internal and deliverable documents;
- Provide periodic assistance coordinating monitoring and validation exercises;
- Provide technical leadership in areas decided in coordination with the Evaluation Leads; and
- Other tasks as designated by senior staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field;
- A minimum of five (5) years of substantive experience in a relevant field;
- Experience conducting evaluations, assessments, or qualitative research in a development context;
- Experience evaluating stabilization or governance programs;
- Technical skills including design of evaluation tools, evaluation planning and management, analysis of qualitative data, and results reporting;
- Excellent report writing skills;
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.