You must be authorized to work in the US.
The Manager, Business Development supports the full lifecycle of new business opportunities, helping tell Blumont’s story while heading up a cross-functional team to ensure that our proposals meet and exceed the expectations of our donors and company stakeholders. This is a highly-networked role that requires an ability to work in an efficient manner diplomatically under pressure and to challenging deadlines.
Note: We are seeking BOTH Full-Time and Short-Term Consultants (3-6 months) candidates for this position as we have numerous opportunities that we will be pursuing in the coming year.
Please indicate on your CV whether you want to be considered for Full-Time or as a Consultant.
The Manager, Business Development reports to the Director, Business Development and is responsible for leading the business development process for specific opportunities identified by Blumont, serving as the capture lead for pre-RFA and -RFP activities and serving as proposal manager at RFA and RFP release leading the development of customized, winning proposals for those opportunities. The Manager, Business Development will also be responsible for guiding capture/proposal teams through business development processes and procedures in accordance with Blumont’s established processes and Shipley best practices. This role will be responsible for designating and coordinating tasks to meet applicable deadlines, collaborating effectively with and managing internal and external subject matter experts, and representing Blumont to external stakeholders, including clients and partners.
This is an ideal opportunity for a program development officer, capture manager, or a proposal manager looking to apply their talents across the full business development lifecycle to contribute to the growth of a dynamic organization pursuing a mix of acquisition and assistance awards. International development experience that brings the field perspective is a key differentiator for this position.
*You MUST be authorized to work in the US in order to qualify for this position.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide support across the business development lifecycle as an integrated team member, to include pipeline management, bid decisions and gate reviews, and reporting.
- Engage in networking, research, and competitive analysis to inform strategic business pursuit decisions.
- Serve as capture lead for specific new business opportunities, with responsibilities to include:
- Maintaining the capture plan which directs the strategy on competitors, client, hot button issues, win themes, recruitment, and draft solution design.
- Establishing and/or maintaining relationships with partners, clients, and key personnel, as needed.
- Providing intelligence on the client, opportunity, and competitors.
- Participating in and/or leading the development of a win strategy.
- Securing partners and negotiating teaming agreements (TAs) with specific partners.
- Developing the capture/proposal budget for each effort, in conjunction with other new business staff, and monitoring burn of resources.
- Engaging in the development of best practice and evidence base for approaches utilized in proposals.
- Supporting recruitment process to ensure timely identification and inclusion of qualified key personnel for proposals.
- Partnering with technical leads, subject matter experts, and other stakeholders to identify win themes, conduct SWOT analyses, and develop win plans.
- Facilitating proposal solution design sessions. This includes the following tasks:
- Participating and/or facilitating brainstorming/working sessions to develop the initial solution design, and supporting the resourcing of initiatives to gather necessary data to inform the design (e.g. in country assessments, secondary research)
- Facilitating the discussion to result in the identification of proposal win themes, strategies, and methodologies.
- Storyboarding the solution to include specific guidance for writers for each proposal section in compliance with the solicitation requirements
- Identifying and/or managing technical writers or contributing subject matter experts (SMEs) during proposal draft writing (both pre- and post-RFA and RFP).
- Serve as proposal manager from RFA or RFP release through post-submittal, submitting all proposals on-time and with the highest quality of workmanship. This includes:
- Participate in go/no-go decisions;
- Write non-technical proposal sections, such as management, staffing, and past performance;
- Provide quality control for the proposal and proposal process; interpret solicitations to ensure that the proposal complies with all donor requirements, and ensure timely submission.
- Lead proposal meetings and participate in the development and review of proposal strategies and themes;
- Develop proposal schedules, outlines, compliance matrices, storyboards, and writing assignments and guidance;
- Ensure that the proposal clearly conveys the proper business perspective, key messages, value proposition, and differentiators against Blumont’s competition;
- Assemble proposal components into a coherent whole and conduct/oversee final review and editing to ensure compliance with donor requirements and consistency of usage and appearance;
- Provide timely and accurate status reports to the Director, Business Development, and identify, assess, resolve, and/or escalate issues as needed;
- Participate in/facilitate proposal post-submission meetings to discuss and capture lessons learned;
- Manage proposal content databases, content for future use.
- Travel internationally in support of capture or assessment trips as deemed necessary.
- Mentor and coach proposal team members and technical staff in best practices in proposal development with an emphasis on international requirements and Shipley best practices.
- Adhere to Blumont’s policies and procedures and apply them consistently throughout duties.
- Successfully complete required Risk Management and Security Policy and Protocol training.
- Understand and adhere to Blumont’s Ethics and Compliance standards.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field such as International Development, Foreign Affairs, or Communications.
- 5+ years of relevant and progressive work experience.
- 2+ years of experience managing large, complex proposals in response to RFPs/RFAs issued by US Government agencies, particularly USAID and Department of State, foreign governments (DFID, FCO, DFAT, GAC etc.), and multi-lateral donors (UN, World Bank, etc.).
- Knowledge of business development industry standards (Shipley, APMP, etc.) for capture and proposal management, with demonstrated success with competitive procurements, where a complete capture lifecycle pursuit has been developed and applied.
- Demonstrable analytical and critical thinking skills – particularly as they relate to assembling disparate pieces of knowledge and careful assumptions to form a clear picture of a client’s intentions before a solicitation are released.
- Familiarity with government and/or international donor procurement processes and regulations, including knowledge of USAID rules and regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to write persuasive proposals and reports.
- Ability to facilitate and participate in group meetings.
- Experience communicating and networking with clients and key partners.
- Ability to integrate into and thrive within a multicultural and diverse team.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (mastery of Word specifically).
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing activities.
- Current US work authorization required.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Advanced degree and/or related certification desired but not necessary.
- Experience and knowledge of the international development sector with exposure to technical solution design in a relevant sector.
- Experience with program development or delivery in the field strongly desired.
- 2-3 years’ experience in a relevant technical sector (e.g. humanitarian assistance, food security, agriculture, etc.) focused on new-business related functions in government contracting with demonstrable success.
- Strong knowledge of USAID/USG regulations and requirements related to technical sectors.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Acrobat Pro specifically) preferred.
- Ability to work in normal office conditions.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity. Please note that only qualified candidates will be contacted.
*You must be authorized to work in the US in order to qualify for this position*
About the Organization
Blumont is a nonprofit humanitarian relief and development organization with nearly 20 years of experience in 40 countries. We were founded as IRD (International Relief & Development) in 1998 and implement both humanitarian and development programs in relief, stabilization, and resilience worldwide. We have a diverse client base comprised of over 30 partner organizations including: USAID, UNHCR, DFID, World Bank, UNDP US DOS, USDA and the World Health Organization. Using advanced technology, tools and information resources, we implement highly effective programs in some of the most difficult environments in the world. Our mission is to deliver innovative, evidence based, locally driven solutions that advance the aspirations of people, communities and donor partners worldwide. Our operating paradigm is to collaborate, innovate, and transform.