JOB SUMMARY & KEY PRIORITIES:
The Business Development/Institutional Relations Manager for East Africa will be responsible for strategic business development and management of government and foundation relationships and the development of proposals to secure multi-year funding to support Grameen Foundation’s work in East Africa and globally. The Institutional Relations Manager will play a key role in working with development and program staff to cultivate bilateral, multilateral, foundation and peer implementing partner relationships. The Manager will provide cross-solutions team support in writing competitive proposals in response to solicitations from USAID, bi-lateral/multi-lateral donors, corporate foundations and other partners, and in managing bids that involve subbing to other larger NGOs and firms.
Grameen Foundation works with our partners to connect poor people, especially women, to the vital mix of financial, health, and agricultural services and information they need to transform their lives. Digital technology and mobile phones offer unprecedented opportunity to connect millions of poor people to the resources they require to strengthen their resilience, raise their incomes and live healthy lives. The IR Manager for East Africa will lead the design of programs in agriculture, financial inclusion and health in conjunction with the Solution/Technical Directors and Country Directors and will identify funding and partnering opportunities for Africa and globally.
Reporting and relationships: The Manager, Institutional Relations Africa will report to the Vice President, Institutional and Program Development, and will work closely with the regional and solution area teams.
Availability: This position will be expected to work a standard workweek of 25 to 40 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done. This is an exempt position and a minimum of 20% travel is expected.
ABOUT GRAMEEN FOUNDATION
Essential Job Functions:
- Successfully secure several million dollars in Life of Project funding each year in support of Grameen Foundation’s work in Africa and globally
- Manage technical and cost proposals for institutional organizations in the areas of technology for development, agriculture, financial inclusion, health, and social performance;
- Coordinate closely with the Finance team on cost proposal preparation
- Work with program and country staff on the design and development of the technical approach (including contributing to writing of the technical approach and managing the overall proposal process);
- Develop and execute effective strategies to network and obtain business intelligence about upcoming program opportunities. Work with the regional partnerships team to research, track and follow up on business intelligence leading up to bid opportunities;
- Transfer knowledge on program design, log frame design to the IR team and others in the organization.
- Lead relationship building and management with key potential and current clients, partners, and consultants;
- Participate in relevant training and other professional development opportunities;
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission.
- Strong relationship management skills developed though prior experience.
- Proven ability to structure partnerships, including with the private sector
- Solid understanding of the proposal development process, project management systems / best practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of international development including technology for development, agriculture, financial inclusion, gender and /or health. Strong preference for experience in the agriculture sector.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (written and oral) and facilitation skills with a proven ability to motivate and coordinate multiple stakeholders, including senior-level experts and directors.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to lead complex processes in a non-hierarchical environment.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a highly dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage new accounts.
EDUCATION BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE:
At least five to ten years of relevant professional experience and Master’s Degree in subject related to international development preferred.
Physical and Environmental Conditions: This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
Additional Comment: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. Click here to apply!. For more information about Grameen Foundation please visit our website at grameenfoundation.org. No telephone calls please.