At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
The Communications and Media Managerans, develops, and leads innovative media and external affairs strategies to advance GERC’s mission and drive engagement with policymakers, the public, influencers and media. The Communications Manager leads GERC’s communications, working closely with Member NGO experts and leadership while coordinating with other teams across the GERC.
The Global Emergency Response Coalition (GERC) is a lifesaving humanitarian alliance made up of eight leading U.S.-based international aid organizations. When disaster strikes, the Coalition mobilizes to help children and families in urgent need. By working together, we can increase awareness and funds to deliver emergency relief quickly and efficiently to save lives and help rebuild communities.
GERC is comprised of CARE, International Medical Corps, International Rescue Committee, Mercy Corps, Oxfam America, Plan International USA, Save the Children and World Vision.
The Communication and Media Manager supports the Managing Director in designing and executing campaigns in the aftermath of natural and human-made disasters. S/he will advance profile-raising, advocacy and fundraising goals and elevate the GERC’s reputation in the media.
- Coordinate GERC Communications Team
- Developing Communications Strategy
- Developing and Executing Social Media Strategy
- Production of Communications Materials
- Strategic Engagement and Public Outreach Assistance
- BA/S or equivalent in related field – journalism, public policy, international affairs – required
- 7 years of professional experience or equivalent combination of intern and school experience in media relations or journalism required.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a geographically dispersed team.
- Established track record of generating positive media coverage in U.S. national and international outlets.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills a must; ability to “translate” technical language into compelling stories needed;
- Knowledge of print, web, graphics and email dissemination;
- Ability to work independently and take initiative;
- Willingness to learn and collaborate with others, strong team player, experience working in matrixed teams preferred;
- Commitment to capacity building required.
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.