Manager, Institutional Relations
Please make sure you meet these requirements before you apply.
1. Demonstrated track record in institutional fundraising (professional foundations, government donors especially USG)
2. Strong familiarity with at least one of Grameen’s signature program areas (financial inclusion, agriculture development, women’s economic empowerment)
3. AT LEAST five years of relevant professional experience (post university)
Location: Washington DC is a strongly preferred location. Candidates with the right set of skills
Based on other locations (US and non-US) might be considered.
JOB SUMMARY & KEY PRIORITIES:
The Manager/Sr. Manager, Institutional Relations is responsible for experienced management of institutional funding opportunities and relationships, with a priority focus on the Washington, DC donor base. Funding opportunities will be focused across Grameen’s core program areas of digital agriculture and digital financial services, as well as women’s economic empowerment more broadly. The Manager/Sr. Manager will be based from Grameen’s headquarters office in Washington, DC as a full-time hire.
The Manager/Sr. manager will coordinate efforts across regional program and technical solutions teams and ensure successful submission of well-written, high-quality, competitive proposals to institutional funders including USAID, other bi-lateral / multi-lateral donors, corporate and professional foundations, etc. The role involves cultivating business intelligence, attending external events, networking, and coordinating and facilitating meetings. The Manager/Sr. Manager will also manage a pipeline of new funding opportunities, by consistently following the opportunity lifecycle, leading writing efforts on proposals/concept notes and other materials, coordinating budget inputs and other application materials, developing written correspondence, and managing database accounts.
The position requires a candidate who is highly proactive, with a strong work ethic, professional demeanor and customer service mentality, who truly enjoys writing, meeting new people and facilitating teamwork.
The decision about whether the role will be a Manager or a Sr. Manager will be determined by the following:
- Manager: A BA or MA and at least 5 years of experience in new business development within international development, preferably within agriculture, financial services, women’s empowerment or relevant field, with proven results in similar roles.
- Senior Manager: A MA (preferred) and at least 10 years of experience in new business development within international development, preferably within agriculture, financial services, women’s empowerment or relevant field, with proven results in similar roles.
Reporting and relationships: The Manager/Sr. Manager, Institutional Relations will report to the Senior Director, Institutional Relations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Solid understanding/mastery of the proposal development process and demonstrated success managing aspects of proposal development to institutional funders;
- Masters (preferred) in international development, business, or a related field;
- Knowledge of and interest in digital agriculture, digital financial services, and/or women’s economic empowerment within international development contexts, especially in Africa;
- Demonstrated experience and interest in working in a global/multicultural organizations across multiple time zones.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (written and oral) and facilitation skills;
- Exceptional written and verbal English language skills
- Experience implementing public-private partnerships and/or USG-funded programs;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work in a team in a highly dynamic environment to gather and synthesize information;
- Professional and willing to serve others to ensure work is completed;
- Entrepreneurial experience, spirit and ability to independently lead complex processes; Strong computer and database skills and comfort (Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Salesforce or other CRM);
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and gender equality in line with Grameen Foundation’s mission.
KEY RESULTS IN THE POSITION:
- Conduct networking to develop relationships with institutional funders and partners based in Washington, DC, expand list of contacts and enhance IR team’s knowledge of priorities, trends and opportunities regarding this donor base;
- Manage a robust pipeline of institutional funding opportunities ranging from early stage capture to full proposal development across Grameen’s core program areas of digital agriculture, digital financial services, and women’s economic empowerment;
- Work with technical and regional program teams to research, track and follow up on business intelligence leading up to bid opportunities;
- Advance team effort on new opportunities through coordinating the opportunity lifecycle process, including research, brainstorming, partner outreach, design/development of the technical approach, writing and editing support, budgeting, application submission, and project handover;
- Proactively lead writing of pitch/strategy documents, concept notes, and proposals as well as meeting minutes, team updates, and other documentation;
- Maintain Salesforce record accuracy and timely updating, as well as other knowledge management tasks;
- Set up, attend and/or facilitate internal and external meetings/calls.
Availability and Travel: This position is exempt and will be expected to work 100% of a standard workweek of 40 hours. The Manager/Sr. Manager will work from Grameen’s headquarters office in Washington, DC; remote candidates may be considered depending on proximity to institutional funders, experience level and background. The Manager/Sr. Manager may be required to travel domestically and/or internationally 1-2 trips/year.