Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is currently seeking a talented market systems professional for the Market Systems and Entrepreneurship Manager. This individual will serve as a technical advisor providing support on the design and implementation of a portfolio of housing related market systems projects such as construction materials, labor, energy WASH, etc. in the Asia Pacific region. This position will also work to further innovation in shelter by spearheading Habitat’s regional housing innovation accelerator, ShelterTech and will be based in Manila,Philippines.
Provide technical support to the project teams in the design and implementation of a portfolio of projects related to housing market systems which may include the following:
- Analyze housing-related market systems in select geographies including regulatory frameworks, housing profiles, consumer research, social norms/networks, value chains.
- Identify gaps and barriers that restrict low-income housing services provision.
- Identify facilitation activities with private sector actors.
- Support strategies to address gaps and barriers in housing market systems using M4P approach.
- Support the regional market systems work with technical advice and leadership.
- Support the recruitment, onboarding and development of the country-based project teams. Manage procurement of consultants or firms where necessary.
- Serve as an advisor and market systems mentor to the Terwilliger Fellows who are managing housing market systems projects in the region.
- Prepare concept notes and project proposals to obtain funding to support the expansion of market systems work in the region. Support budget preparation. Work with country teams to ensure projects are on time, on budget and producing desired results. Write and/or review donor reports.
- Develop and maintain networks of regional and local consultants with skills in housing, private sector development, and monitoring and evaluation, and build partnerships with like-minded organizations with complementary skills and interests.
- Collaborate with other Habitat for Humanity TCIS practitioners and mentors through webinars, peer to peer networking events and learning forums, e-discussions, delivery of case studies.
- Research and identify opportunities to promote Habitat for Humanity’s housing market systems work.
- Coordinate Habitat’s regional entrepreneur accelerator program, ShelterTech, to bring innovation to the affordable housing sector by identifying and supporting early stage start up companies.
- Master Degree in economics, business administration, international development or a related field.
- At least 8 years of professional experience advising, designing, and implementing agricultural, livelihoods, health, WASH or similar projects using an M4P/value chain/market development/market systems approach.
- Demonstrated private sector experience and knowledge of the role of private sector actors, the functioning of markets and the opportunities for inclusive economic growth for housing market systems.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including a proven ability to mentor staff and collaborate internally within Habitat and externally with partners from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Outstanding written and oral English communication skills, the ability to take complex concepts and make them accessible to others.
- Ability to be agile in a work setting with familiarity of applying adaptive management principles to projects and programs.
- Capacity to design, lead and facilitate participatory workshops and events (seminars, trainings) that engage market actors, in a meaningful way.
- Knowledge of results chains, DCED methodology and monitoring market systems projects.
- Experience applying market systems approaches to disaster resilience and response preferred.
- Knowledge of the housing sector or another relevant sector such as climate change adaptation, renewable energy, water and sanitation, urban development is a plus.
- Excellent computer and Information and communication technology skills as well familiarity with Basecamp, Microsoft suite.
- Target oriented with the ability and aspiration to learn fast, be effective in a team and be challenged.
- Prior experience writing or supervising the development of technical proposals for grants and/or contracts.
About the Organization
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. Habitat for Humanity has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia, and Area Office bases of operations in Manila, Philippines for our Asia and Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and Caribbean work and Bratislava, Slovakia for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.