Manager-Monitoring and Supervision Department
VA #: 0193
No. of Post: One
Date Announced: December 19, 2019
Closing Date: January 1, 2020
MSD Manager is responsible for overall management and leading MSD team of one deputy manager, one senior MSD officer and two MSD officers for carrying out assessments of current and prospective microfinance partners and Targeting Ultra Poor (TUP) program partners. S/he is responsible for implementation of MSD annual plan and timely completion of deliverables.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties and responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Manage implementation of the annual gap assessments of partner DFIs and TUP implanting NGOs. This will include but not limited to leading a team of MSD officers to gauge the MISFA performance standards through desk analysis, interviews, review of the external and internal audit and monitoring reports, review of portfolio reports, clients’ visits and review of the finance and administration units within the partner institution.
- Review and finalize gap assessment reports
- Communicate gap assessment findings to partner DFIs to facilitate their development of action plans. S/he will also follow up on implementation status of the action plans
- Schedule and implement a field visit plan to monitor microfinance of DFIs at branch level.
- Monitor Auditing schedules of partner DFIs to ensure external audits are timely completed in accordance with relevant performance standard
- Manage periodic reviews of MISFA sub-agreement with DFIs to monitor progress towards benchmarks and timely completion of deliverables
- Provide day by day coaching to MSD officers and address capacity development and training needs to help them perform their duties in a professional and adequate manner. Assess their performance on a quarterly and annual basis as per HR performance review process including identification of capacity development and training needs
- Manage development of the MSD annual plan (including KM&L activities) and report on progress of MSD Annual Plan to MISFA’s Senior Management Team on a quarterly basis.
- Assist partner DFIs on development of Annual Business Plans and best practice thereof; review business plans and projections by current / prospective partners and prepare recommendations for Credit Committee
- Supervise and approve the review and consolidation process of Monthly Performance Reports (MPRs) and SME reports submitted by partners
- Work with SMT and other departmental managers to update MISFA’s performance standards manual on a bi-annual basis
- Prepare periodic partner DFIs monitoring (including quantitative and qualitative KPI) reports including recommended action required (Frequency: monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, annually) to MISFA’s Senior Management Team
- Sit as member of MISFA’s ‘Credit Committee’; report on partner DFI’s progress and issues relating to sub-agreements to said committee; and interact with legal counsel for incorporating covenants decided by said committee
- Assist Director Programs in preparation of reports, analysis, and recommendations for MISFA’s Board of Directors
Qualifications, Experience and Other Skills:
- MBA/CA/ACCA/CA finalist
- Minimum 8 years of experience in audit and monitoring
- Minimum 3 years of experience in microfinance industry
- Experience in managing and coaching four or more employees
- Knowledge of monitoring, auditing, internal controls, financial accounting and analysis
- Strong proficiency with Excel and Word
- Strong communication, interpersonal and report writing skills
- Critical thinking
The Manager Monitoring and Supervision Department reports to the Director Programs.
The application package, acceptable in English language only, should comprise an up-to-date résumé and cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for the position, indicating your salary and benefits expectations, and the earliest joining date, if selected.
Interested candidates should submit their application package only by e-mail with the subject “Vacancy – Manager Monitoring and Supervision Department” to email@example.com. Due to the expected large number of applications, only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.
About the Organization
The Microfinance Investment Support Facility for Afghanistan (MISFA) was set up in 2003 at the invitation of the Afghan government — to get donor coordination right from the start and avoid the counter-productive efforts that have emerged from conflicting donor objectives in other post-conflict situations. It was established as a vehicle through which the Afghan Government and international donors could channel technical assistance and funding to build Afghanistan’s microfinance sector. MISFA was the first facility of its kind, pooling diverse donor funding mechanisms and converting them into streamlined, flexible support to microfinance institutions in Afghanistan, tailored to local priorities and accompanied by technical assistance and strong performance monitoring.
MISFA’s mission is to contribute to Afghanistan’s economic growth by developing a viable, inclusive financial sector for the poor, and the underserved small and medium enterprises.