Cardno is seeking a Manager for our Natural Resources Management team on our Communities, Infrastructure, and Environment practice unit. This Manager will be an environmental science professional who can win and implement natural resources projects and activities funded by USAID and other clients.
- Participate in and manage capture and proposal efforts to help grow the natural resource management service line.
- Research, write and review sections of proposals.
- Identify and track relevant opportunities within the service line and company
- Identify opportunities across the service lines to incorporate environmental compliance or other relevant components.
- Develop and grow relationships with relevant USAID, World Bank, MCC and other clients in the sector.
- Develop risk management strategy for pursuit of targets.
- Successfully close proposal opportunities utilizing the strengths of the entire business.
- Keep abreast of what the competition is offering to accordingly enhance proposals and services offered.
- Interpret client feedback to prioritize and strengthen proposals.
- Cope with ambiguity, negotiate and persuade with integrity in the sales process.
- Develop win themes consistent with the client’s market trends and ensures win themes are clearly and consistently applied through the proposal.
- Negotiate with and influence senior client management.
- Serve as relationship manager for long-term key client partnerships.
- Meet client needs by acting with a sense of urgency, pragmatism and integrity.
- Select and encourages appropriate staff in global business development activities.
- Plan, organize and control multiple responsibilities and resources to achieve project objectives in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Identify project resource requirements and work across teams to ensure these are met.
- Develop, maintain and sustain strong relationships with clients and project teams.;
- Ensures compliance with contractual obligations and achievements of project scope of work and financial goals.;
- Review and confirm project objectives, scope and work plan with client.
- Define project strategy, objectives, scope and pricing.
- Regularly prioritize tasks based on relative importance and urgency.
- Anticipate project issues, assess alternatives, and take appropriate measures to resolve in a professional manner.
- Assess and manage project risks relative to client and donor requirements.
- Seek and respond to regular client feedback.
- Provide technical leadership in the area of natural resources management.
- Grow external reputation as a thought leader in the area of natural resources management.
- Provide inputs to and review contents of deliverable and ensure deliverables match with technical best practice, engagement scope and client expectations
- Manage project-wide implementation efforts.
- Assess viability of analytical approaches, tools and/or content based on best practices and experience.
- Integrate relevant functional experts into project teams.
- Evaluate options with client and design deliverables that reflect donor and beneficiary client needs.
- Build plan for follow-up to ensure that changes implemented will be sustainable.
- Anticipate barriers to change, devise plans to address change and ensures client acceptance of the change process.
Required Minimum Education:
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, environmental engineering, natural resource management or related field.
- Preferred: Master’s degree preferred
Required Minimum Experience
- Required: 8-10 years of related experience
- Preferred: 10+ years
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience conducting business development including early lead identification of clients and opportunities, marketing, proposal management and writing, eminence building Experience providing technical and management oversight to natural resource management programs and activities;
- Technical skills in at least one component of natural resources management e.g. hydrology, climate change, biodiversity conservation, impact assessment, watershed management, forestry, environmental compliance and management, or environmental engineering;
- Experience working in and managing multi-disciplinary, cross cultural teams - in the Home Office and the field;
- Knowledge of international donor business development and project implementation requirements;
- Proven experience developing and maintaining strong relationships with clients, governments and civil society partners;
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and creative problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated ethical management practices;
- Highly proficient in MS Office applications;
- Fluency in English language required, proficiency in a second language preferred.
- Strong written, oral, and presentation skills; and
- U.S. citizenship or a valid U.S. work permit required
- Ability to take responsibility for assignments, work independently, with minimal supervision, meet deadlines and effectively manage multiple, competing priorities.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Ability to manage through systems.
- Ability to build and maintain useful and wide ranging networks of contacts at institution, country or regional level.
- Ability to quickly understand regional/country context and local sensitivities.
- Ability to build and maintain cooperative and productive relationships with an effective range of external contacts.
- Ability to negotiate effectively combining logic and reason with interpersonal sensitivity.
- Integrity and Trust
- Travel, both domestic and internationally (25 to 40%)
- Lifting of paper
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.