As a federal company, GIZ supports the Federal Government in achieving its goals in international cooperation for sustainable development.
The Algerian waste management industry is still not very diversified. Waste is not collected from communities on a regular basis, it is neither collected in full nor sorted, and the current method of disposing of household waste is in landfills. Due to people’s discontent with the household waste management system, the issue is gaining a great deal of political significance in Algeria.
Because of this, the country’s Ministry of the Environment regards waste recycling as a key element of waste management with the aim of freeing up landfill capacity and coping with the growing proportion of recyclable waste, particularly packaging. On the whole, however, recycling is still of little importance to the Algerian economy (currently only between five and seven per cent of household waste and just below one per cent of plastic waste is recycled) and value chains in the waste management industry are only poorly developed.
- Giving technical advice to ministries, communities and the private sector to develop a waste take-back system with a focus on packaging waste
- Giving expert advice to communities and the private sector the establishment, organisation and workings of PPPs (public-private partnerships) in the recycling sector
- Organising and supporting dialogue between communities, the waste management industry and civil society with a focus on raising awareness for separate waste collection
- Devising and running conferences, training sessions, workshops and capacity development processes for waste take-back systems
- Coordinating and cooperating with external national and international experts
- Monitoring, evaluating and periodic reporting to the commissioning party (BMZ)
- Leading an international team
- A university degree in engineering (e.g. waste, environment, construction)
- Several years of project management and leadership experience
- Many years of experience in recycling and waste flow management in a nationwide waste disposal company
- Familiar with community and private-sector development organisations, and ideally with PPPs
- Experience in analysing, costing, planning and organising waste disposal services involving the private sector or local communities
- Business fluency in German and French, and a very good command of English, knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage
The security situation is tense. There are special precautionary measures in place on the ground for GIZ employees. GIZ’s security guidelines must be followed at all times. Please also look into any country-specific information provided by the Federal Foreign Office as a basic principle.
The position requires you to travel throughout Algeria on a regular basis. Trips into the interior are to be coordinated with the GIZ Office. Safety and security training is obligatory.
Algiers is a pleasant city with a Mediterranean climate. The flight time to Frankfurt is two and a half hours. Medical care is good. All everyday items are available. There is an international French school (primary school through to sixth form).
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
About the Organization
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.