For assigned projects, the Manager, Project Operations serves as part of a project management team. The specific purpose of the position is to manage implementation of effective and efficient operational, financial and compliance activities that deliver projects in accordance with contractual obligations, company policies, Group Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Guidelines and client rules and regulations. The position periodically contributes to the development of policies, processes and procedures that align with best practices in project management. This position typically supervises one or more team members at the Associate, Project Operations or Senior Associate, Project Operations level.
The primary responsibilities of the Manager, Project Operations, are to:
* Plan and manage the operational aspects of project start-up and closeout;
* Support corporate registration in-country and ensure all legal and financial requirements are met and maintained for the entity and project;
* In collaboration with corporate services, provide training and guidance to project staff on and ensure compliance with company and client policies and regulations;
* Ensure project issues and risks are logged, monitored, reported on, managed and mitigated; escalate risks and issues to corporate/project leadership, as required;
Head Contract and Client Relationship Management
* Monitor and maintain compliance with head/prime contracts;
* Monitor and report on overall progress against agreed targets, milestones, outputs and activities;
* Develop, manage and support contract amendments as required;
* Liaise with and respond to requests from clients;
* Ensure company policies, SOPs and Guidelines for financial management are implemented and are compliant with the client’s rules and regulations;
* Establish project levels of delegated authority in accordance with Company policy and manage the process for higher-level approvals as required;
* In collaboration with Finance establish project account codes, ensuring they are fit for purpose and meet client’s and project’s requirements for cost allocation, monitoring and evaluation;
* In collaboration with Treasury, set-up project bank accounts with appropriate company and project signatories;
* Manage the external audit process and ensure retention of project records is compliant with company policy.
Human Resource Management and Recruitment
* Oversee project human resource planning, recruitment and contracting.
* In collaboration with Security, ensure safety and security procedures, including Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements, are in place and adhered to;
* Maintain accurate project data on relevant HR systems for short-term and long-term staff and consultants;
* Lead the mobilisation and demobilisation of all international staff including contracting, travel management, payments and induction.
Staff Development and Supervision
* Serve as primary supervisor to one or more Associate(s), Project Operations, or Senior Associate(s), Project Operations;
* Actively monitor, review, correct, and provide feedback on all supervisee’s work products, providing additional training and support where necessary;
* Provide coaching and mentoring on project management best practices, office work environment skills and behaviors, and the relevant level of core competencies;
* Provide regular performance feedback including holding monthly coaching meetings, and documenting these in Palladium’s performance management systems.
Procurement, Sub-Contractor and Grant Management
* Serve as a point of contact with service providers and address agreement matters as required;
* Lead the development of project subcontractor / grant management procedures compliant with the company’s SOPs and Guidelines and client’s rules and regulations;
* Monitor and ensure quality of field procurement; ensuring compliance with company anti-corruption and due diligence processes
Business Development / Other
* Participate in capture planning, providing inputs on operational requirements;
* Provide input and support business development of the company as required.
* Fluency in French is required
* US Citizenship or authorization to work in the US
* A relevant Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree are required;
* A minimum of 7 years relevant work experience;
* A minimum of 3 years project management experience with DFID, DFAT, USAID or other donor client(s);
* Experience managing large and complex projects with a high risk profile;
* A minimum of 2 years of people management experience, including setting performance objectives, managing for results, giving and receiving feedback, performance evaluation and mentoring and coaching;
* A minimum of 2 years of work experience in a developing country or similar environment.
* Project Management expertise;
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
* Strong management skills with ability to mentor, coach, lead, develop and evaluate staff;
* Ability to travel and work in developing countries for extended periods of time if needed;
* Ability to work with a low level of supervision and as a part of a team when required;
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.