GAVI JOB DESCRIPTION
Manager, Vaccine Forecasting and Grant Operations (Temp)
Purpose of the position:
Support vaccine grant information processing and review and contribute to country forecasting related activities.
Vaccines and Sustainability, Vaccine Supply and Demand
Vaccine Forecasting and Grant Operations (VFGO)
Head of Vaccine Forecasting and Grant Operations
N° of position supervised:
Career step level:
Approx. 10 months (January to October 2020)
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 700 million children and the prevention of more than 10 million future deaths.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND DELIVERABLES
As a member of the Vaccines and Sustainability (V&S) department at Gavi, the Manager will assist with the following functions:
- Manage the grant information processing and documentation related to the decisions of the Independent Review Committee (IRC) for New Vaccine Support (NVS) and the vaccine renewals processes;
- Calculate, review, and analyse vaccine dose quantifications and programme cost estimates used in grants;
- Contribute to country-level vaccine forecasting to support decision making in immunisation programmes;
- Coordinate with key internal and external stakeholders on vaccine grant processes and information;
- Lead areas of improvement for strengthening country vaccine forecasting and Gavi’s review of vaccine grant renewal requests;
- Provide ad hoc support as required.
Within the above context, the Manager will work in close liaison with others in Vaccines and Sustainability department, as well as the Country Programmes and Finance departments. The main duties will be as follows:
- Serve as the lead within VFGO for the set of countries designated by the team manager for the following functions:
- Support the production, management, and quality checks of key grant documents, e.g. Approval Requests (AR) and Decision Letters (DL), with a focus on the central programmatic and financial information contained in these documents;
- Collaborate with Senior Country Managers, Programme Managers, Audit & Investigation officers and Finance department staff to ensure efficient and accurate processing of grant documents;
- Calculate and review estimates of vaccine dose requirements and programme costs;
- Support country-level vaccine forecasting efforts, in collaboration with Country Programmes department;
- Provide analytical support on financial and programmatic implications during grant approval and renewal processes, and follow-up reporting;
- Coordinate with internal teams (Finance, Country Support) and external organisations, especially UNICEF Supply Division, on processes and grant information;
- Lead designated areas for improving Gavi’s review of requests for vaccine support and country-level forecasting;
- Manage the development of training and briefing materials, and represent the team in sessions with internal parties, countries and partners on topics related to Gavi processes, procurement, timelines, and dose allocations;
- Serve as focal point for documentation of processes and methods, ensuring compliance with policies, and responding to audit and similar requests for information;
- Contribute to the improvement of datasets and tools used by the team, as well as broader initiatives led by Knowledge Management and Technology Solutions team to improve information systems related to VFGO’s work;
- Support the definition and calculation of KPIs related to the grant processing work area;
- Contribute to efforts for improving the methodology and available data used in estimating vaccine dose requirements;
- Respond to ad-hoc analysis requests, and provide support to other requests as required;
- Act as a backup to other Managers in their absence.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not limited only to the tasks listed and may include other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in quantitative disciplines related to public health, finance or similar;
- Master’s degree is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the management of information in a public health or financial context, with emphasis on quantitative data and analyses;
- Experience in the areas of global health (particularly immunisation) and/or finance;
- Experience in the use of financial (accounting or management) systems would be an asset;
- Experience with an international organisation is desirable.
- Proficient in working with programmatic and financial data from multiple sources, including data collection, management, reconciliation, quality control, and analysis;
- Skilled with the synthesis, interpretation, and communication of complex data and processes within the context of policy development and implementation;
- Excellent computer skills, especially with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated oral and written presentation skills, able to communicate across disciplines;
- Organisational skills to deal with multiple priorities, ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Team-player and client-oriented;
- Highly motivated individual capable of taking initiatives;
- Ability to adapt in rapidly changing environment and within a multi-cultural environment.
- Advanced English is required;
- French is highly preferred.
- Primarily Vaccines and Sustainability, Finance, and Country Programmes staff.
- External organisations, particularly partner and procurement agencies (e.g. UNICEF Supply Division).
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
If you wish to apply, please visit our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on “Manager, Vaccine Forecasting and Grant Operations (Temp)”. Deadline for applications is 15 November 2019.
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.
About the Organization
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children's lives and protecting people's health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 700 million children and the prevention of more than 10 million future deaths.