PSI seeks qualified, dynamic candidates for the consultancy of Market Development Lead for an upcoming Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH) project in South Sudan. Under this multi-partner project, the Market Development Lead will be responsible for leading an innovative sanitation marketing portfolio that includes establishment of a commercially viable, scalable and sustainable business model to address sanitation needs in South Sudan. This consultancy will work in a complex space of entrepreneurs, service providers, finance institutions, government institutions, NGO partners, local authorities and consumers to achieve both business sustainability and health outcomes of this project.
This demanding consultancy is based in Juba, South Sudan, with 40-50% field travel. As this is a multi-partner project, this consultancy will be seconded to the lead partner and reporting to the project’s WASH Technical Director. The consultant will also work in close liaison the PSI Deputy Country Representative and collaborate closely with other PSI departments that include WASH, M&E, sales and marketing.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide expertise in developing and executing sustainable business models for water, sanitation and hygiene, including research on existing markets and barriers to growth;
- Assess needs, opportunities, gaps and constraints for accessing finance for consumers and entrepreneurs;
- Identify and incubate private sector partners to deliver quality products and services through the development of systems, partnerships and training modules for provision of business development services;
- Develop metrics and establish monitoring and evaluation framework for tracking progress towards market development;
- Engage with relevant government partners to foster effective public-private partnerships;
- Engage with relevant stakeholders that include Ministries of Finance, Water Resources, Local Government and other local authorities to understand the financial regulatory and sanitation delivery operating environment
- Pilot sanitation marketing models to identify the most viable and sustainable for eventual scale up based on criteria such as acceptability, profitability and scalability
- Build technical and business skills capacity for local sanitation entrepreneurs to provide affordable, standard and high quality products and services that respond to consumer needs
- Compile, review and prepare technical and other reports as required
- Relevant post-graduate degree (e.g. Masters in Business Administration (MBA)) with a focus on emerging markets, social enterprise, inclusive finance) or equivalent experience;
- Prior experience in working with finance institutions to design loan products and working with business development service organizations.
- At least five years of previous experience, including three years of experience working in a developing country;
- Experience specific to WASH preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-partner environment
- Familiarity with international health, development issues, and the international donor community;
- Knowledge of social marketing;
- Exceptional and established diplomatic skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Knowledge of USAID requirements is a significant advantage;
The successful candidate will be a creative, innovative and strategic thinker and will have excellent communication, analytical and organizational skills; interpersonal and cross-cultural skills; a proven ability to produce results in difficult circumstances; and the ability to work efficiently and quickly under pressure. The ideal candidate should be willing to live with basic amenities, and in a complex political environment where the security situation is fluid.
*This position is contingent on funding.
Please apply by emailing a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls or emails, please.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability
About the Organization
PSI is a leading global health organization with programs targeting malaria, child survival, HIV and reproductive health. Working in partnership within the public and private sectors, and harnessing the power of the markets, PSI provides life-saving products, clinical services and behavior change communications that empower the world's most vulnerable populations to lead healthier lives.
PSI's core values are a belief in markets and market mechanisms to contribute to sustained improvements in the lives of the poor; results and a strong focus on measurement; speed and efficiency with a predisposition to action and an aversion to bureaucracy; decentralization and empowering our staff at the local level; and a long term commitment to the people we serve. PSI has programs in 67 countries. For more information, please visit www.psi.org.