Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
Market Systems Director, West Africa
We are currently seeking a dynamic and proven leader with technical expertise and experience in donor-funded programs as Market Systems Director for a number of upcoming multi-year programs in West Africa. The position(s) is/are subject to ACDI/VOCA being awarded the program.
- Conduct analysis and necessary reflections for the development of a strategy and marketing action plan that will enable better positioning and increased market share and actors’ income;
- Provide technical assistance to program beneficiaries in one or more of the following fields: market identification and development, agricultural value chain development, agricultural supply chain management, private sector development, business development, regional and international trade policies, and promotion of investments;
- Design, develop and implement strategies and project work plans to improve livestock and crop productivity, strengthen market linkages, expand access to markets, support the development of diversified livelihoods opportunities, and strengthen input, service, and capacity building networks for crops, livestock, and diversified livelihoods activities;
- Provide technical assistance to agricultural product development via viable market orientation, taking into account the marketing issues related to the transition to high-value products.
- Maintain and develop strong partnerships with cooperatives, partners, collaborators, rural finance institutions and any other associated stakeholders.
- Contribute to training of farmers and producer groups to better understand and analyze their markets;
- Collaborate with the M&E Manager to develop monitoring and evaluation tools on marketing outcomes;
- Support extension staff working with farmers and producer groups to create new and/or diversified market linkages;
- Collaborate with the private sector to facilitate the purchasing and transport of agricultural products that meet target market quality standards.
- Ensure the reporting on results, changes, revenue generation and profitability of marketed volumes;
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- University degree in agronomy, agricultural economics, business management or other relevant field (advanced degree is preferred);
- Minimum six years of experience in one or more technical disciplines relevant to the above position, including market studies, economic growth, trade, value chain development, competitiveness, agricultural development programs;
- Experience with large livestock and/or crop development programs focused on inclusive growth and resilience preferably within West Africa. Additional experience developing alternative livelihoods activities strongly preferred.
- Expertise in crops and/or livestock market systems and value chains required.
- Demonstrated successful experience in implementing programs aimed at market development and increasing the competitiveness and inclusiveness of value chains, including agricultural value chains;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest developments in advancing good/best practices in value chain development and USAID’s value chain approach is preferred
- Demonstrated creativity, willingness to innovate, think systemically and design catalytic approaches to intervening;
- Experience working with private sector actors (buyers, agribusinesses and financial institutions) is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in interdisciplinary teamwork;
- Strong verbal and writing skills
- Fluency in French is required, English is a great advantage, local languages are a plus;
- Ability and willingness for travel.
Please apply directly online at www.acdivoca.org/international-jobs. The applications will be reviewed promptlyupon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development, and food security to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil societies. ACDI/VOCA has approximately 50 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of approximately $174 million.