Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is currently seeking a talented individual for the role of a Market Systems & Entrepreneurship Specialist. The Specialist will support and deliver programming that expands Habitat’s work with housing market systems across South India. The position entails working with market actors, government, low income home owners, external consultants and the regional team. This position will be based in either Chennai,India or Bangalore,India but with significant periods of time in the field and out of the office (app. 1 day per week in the office, 3-4 days going to the field and/or meeting partners).
- Supports the housing market systems work in South India, identifying and soliciting initiatives from various market actors in the housing value chain, building relationships and supporting facilitation activities.
- Provides project management on the delivery of housing market systems mapping, value chain and market research, and facilitation activites with private sector firms.
- Leads monitoring and evaluation. Ensures data is being captured and analyzed, prepares reports.
- Liaises with potential partners such as financial institutions, government agencies, construction companies, materials suppliers, etc. Provides technical inputs on various products and services in the housing value chain. Assists in technical/commercial feasibility of various proposals and in structuring agreements with market actors.
- Masters Degree in economics, finance, engineering or related field. MBA is a plus.
- Five years’ relevant experience in business, social entrepreneurship, international development, housing, finance or similar field with progressively increasing responsibility.
- Experience in engineering, housing is a plus.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience with value chain programs and/or other market-based development approaches is a plus.
- Experience monitoring and evaluating projects is a plus.
- Entrepreneurial. Works well in dynamic environments with limited resources.
- Persuasive. Demonstrates ability to influence others, to work with outside actors and create collaborative projects.
- Agile. Prioritizes tasks and redirects work effort in response to new opportunities and changes in priorities.
- Strong inter-personal skills with the ability to develop and manage good relationships between the project, private sector, government and other stakeholders.
- Quality and results oriented. Demonstrated attention to detail, highly organized and able to coordinate multiple activities simultaneously and within deadline.
- Technical proposal development: Capacity to write technical proposals for lead firms and/or contracts.
- Monitoring projects: understands project monitoring and evaluation considerations and adds value to data received to make project improvements. Ability to monitor project implementation and manage project budgets.
- Communication and presentation skills in English (written and oral).
- Ability to converse in one or more South Indian languages preferred.
- Housing Construction/engineering with understanding of affordable housing products, services for low-income groups particularly in disaster prone areas.
About the Organization
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. Habitat for Humanity has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia, and Area Office bases of operations in Manila, Philippines for our Asia and Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and Caribbean work and Bratislava, Slovakia for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.