Social Impact (SI) is conducting a Developmental Evaluation (DE) for the base period of the USAID Jalin project to present findings and recommendations to USAID/Indonesia on a frequent basis and in a manner that is useful for learning lessons from completed activities and considering options for rapid course corrections during the course of implementing USAID Jalin. DE—designed to support innovative, complex programming—supports the continuous adaptation of development interventions by embedding an evaluator into a program throughout its life to continuously provide feedback and inject evaluative thinking into the program’s implementation. This DE will examine a large maternal and newborn health initiative in Indonesia over the course of its implementation.
The Maternal and Newborn Health (MNH) Evaluation Specialist will be responsible for understanding how technical aspects of MNH are applied in the Developmental Evaluation of USAID Jalin (DE). Under the direction of the Team Leader, the focus of the Specialist’s work may shift but will in all cases leverage his/her expertise in evaluation and knowledge of the Indonesian health sector and MNH. He/she will be responsible for the following:
- Design and carry out evaluative activities (possibly including occasional domestic travel) particularly MNH’s work related to maternal and newborn health, e.g. literature reviews, key informant interviews, focus group discussions, surveys, etc. in support of the DE’s objectives with the aim of providing answers towards the DE’s questions on its technical approach;
- Draft relevant deliverables related to evaluative activities, including written reports and data visualizations;
- Support the Team Leader in the development and updating of a work plan for the evaluation, including an agreed set of deliverables which may change over time, depending on the needs of the program;
- Participate in regular meetings with the DE team, USAID, implementing partner staff, and other DE stakeholders;
- Identify key bright spots and opportunities that the program can leverage for improved outcomes; and
- Support the Lead Evaluator in conducting analyses of the data collected and present digestible analysis regularly to program staff and key partners through data-review process and other participatory meetings.
The MNH Evaluation Specialist will report to the Team Leader for the Jalin DE contract based in Jakarta.
Programming and/or evaluation experience in government or donor-funded Indonesian maternal and newborn health sector, particularly in one or more of MNH’s six technical areas (quality of care, referral system, local governance, financial protection, reaching the poorest and most vulnerable, and evidence utilization);
- Technical knowledge, skills and expertise in evaluation design, concepts, and approaches;
- Strong analytical skills to support both qualitative and quantitative research;
- Excellent written and communications skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia;
- Graduate degree in public health, or related focus.
- Familiarity with USAID organizational structure/context;
- Familiarity with evaluation donor-funded projects;
- Respect for local stakeholders and partners, ethical research (maintains confidentiality and anonymity when required), flexibility, energy, humility, willingness to learn on the go, and ability to resolve conflicts.
- Active listening and time management skills with readiness to be in a learning role;
- Previous experience and comfort with working for multiple stakeholders with competing priorities/interests.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.