Job Title: MEAL Manager, Cambodia Malaria Elimination Project 2
Reports to: COP
Department: Cambodia (Location: Phnom Penh)
Salary Grade: 10
Note: this position is contingent upon donor funding and approval.
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) was founded in 1943 by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops to assist the poor and disadvantaged. CRS returned to Cambodia in 1991 and currently works in the sectors of Health (HIV, malaria, TB and health systems strengthening) and Education, with approximately 15 Partners. CRS head office is located in Phnom Penh. CRS Cambodia is the hub office for Southeast Asia programming, including Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam.
About the project:
Funded through the US President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), the Cambodia Malaria Elimination Project 2 (CMEP 2) will build on previous experience, and strengthen local capacity in malaria prevention, diagnosis, and management, as well as surveillance and reporting, in order to reach elimination targets in Cambodia by 2025. The activity is expected to commence in six provinces: three provinces (Pailin, Batambang, and Pursat) where the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) is currently supporting implementation of malaria elimination activities and three provinces (Kep, Kampot, and Koh Kong) where PMI is providing technical assistance to the Provincial Health Departments (PHD) to conduct these activities on their own.
The activity will support malaria control and elimination priorities as defined by the Cambodian National Center for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control (CNM), especially among high-risk populations (e.g., forest workers and mobile and migrant populations [MMPs]), by implementing evidence-based interventions at the local, district, provincial, and national levels. Specifically, this activity will implement a proven public health model for malaria diagnosis and treatment; and will add a key component of prevention of reintroduction through real-time surveillance and rapid response to new malaria cases, and applying a tailored approach that responds to the varying epidemiological profiles for malaria transmission in PMI supported areas. Successful implementation of this model will be a major component of PMI’s response to assist CNM to achieve their goal of eliminating Plasmodium falciparum malaria by 2023 and Plasmodium vivax malaria by 2025.
You will manage and provide technical oversight for MEAL in the development and implementation of the CMEP 2 project, ensuring effective MEAL systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your MEAL-related management skills and knowledge will ensure that the project delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards malaria elimination in Cambodia.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Good experience in project grants management, including project design, preferably for grants from multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality technical proposals.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations
- MEAL skills and experience required.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
- Master’s degree in statistics, public health, epidemiology or other relevant field;
- At least seven years of experience developing and implementing surveillance systems, monitoring systems and conducting evaluations, preferably in developing countries;
- Minimum of 5 years experience in relevant field-based project management experience required, with preferably at least 2-3 years working in the area of public health
- Experience in managing moderately complex projects preferably with an international NGO.
- Experience working with malaria prevention, elimination programs or related public health programs;
- Experience in developing quantitative and qualitative analyses and interpreting data to facilitate project decision making;
- Strong English language skills, especially good oral and written communication skills.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.