NPA Iraq is seeking an experienced Mechanical TFM to oversee its mechanical operations in northern Iraq. The role will be based in Erbil and require travel to operational locations in and around Mosul and Ramadi.
The Mechanical TFM will:
- Responsible for supporting the Operations Manager in planning mechanical operations
- Supervise and manage mechanical clearance teams and assets
- Fleet management of mechanical assets
- In cooperation with the Operations Manager, ensure accreditation of NPA’s machines.
- In cooperation with other technical staff, devise and test new tools and techniques leading to improved safety and productivity in technical operations.
- Conduct operations in accordance with overall plans, Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) and International Mine Action Standards (IMAS) and/or NMAS.
- Plan and implement training of local staff in mechanical operations.
- Implement technical and managerial continuation training of national staff to build capacity.
- Provide progress reports on technical, operational (including impact related information) and administrative matters.
- Liaise with national authority, national and international mine action operators and other relevant stakeholders, including participation in the Technical Working Group, in coordination with the Operations Manager.
- Maintain an operational QM system for mechanical operations.
- To provide support in the implementation of the other NPA projects in northern Iraq as directed by OM.
- To ensure a cordial and professional relationship is maintained with all stakeholders and provincial authorities at all times.
- To implement work according to agreed work plans, budgets and procedures.
- Provide advice to management on the use and deployment of mechanical assets
- To coordinate with other components in the HD programme.
- To carry out other relevant tasks as required by the OM.
What you bring to the team:
- Relevant higher education, trade school, or equivalent military qualifications.
- Must be familiar with International Mine Action Standards (IMAS) 9.50 and the Land Release Concept
- Experience managing armoured plant machine operations
- Experience with backhoe, front-end loader, and/or excavator
- Experience with mechanical TS operations in the land release context.
- Proven ability to build capacity of, and manage mechanical mine action teams.
- Experience in operational planning and proven analytical skills.
- Relevant work history (result-focused mine action NGO or commercial EOD work, relief and development programmes or military qualifications).Relevant education or equivalent qualifications (result focused mine action NGO or commercial EOD work, relief and development programmes or military qualifications).
It is desirable that you also have the following experience:
- Relevant qualifications and /or previous accreditation (in Iraq or any other program) in mechanical demining assets.
- Qualifications as a mechanic and/or welder.
- Formal EOD and/or IEDD qualifications
- Experience in rubble removal
- Recent Iraq mine action experience
- Written and verbal proficiency in Arabic and/ or Kurdish is an advantage.
- Experience using the HMA Toolbox and the Land Release Concept
- Proven experience in drafting technical notes, SOP or training packages.
- Hands-on mine action experience with non-technical survey, technical survey, manual demining, EOD, BAC, mechanical and/ or animal detection
In return we offer:
- Salary: In addition to base salary, our salary package for this position includes post allowance, hardship allowance.
- Accomodation: NPA will provide free accomodation
- Leave: 6 weeks leave per year + an attractive R&R package
- Flights: NPA provides 3 international flights home per year in addition to contract start and end flights.
- Insurance: You will be covered by NPA’s coprehensive insurance package which includes travel insurance, group life insurance, accident insurance and worker’s compensation.
- Health checks: Provided in connection with assumption of duty and on a yearly basis.
- Contract: A one year contract with possibility for renewal
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health, cross-cultural communication skills, positive attitude, creativity and the ability to work undeer pressure and diffucult conditions. One of NPA’s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply!
For more information about NPA, please see NPA’s website at www.npaid.org / www.folkehjelp.no or check us out on Facebook or Twitter.
Please apply online by the closing date of May 2th 2018 (thoughts)
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
About the Organization
Norwegian People's Aid vision is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA's international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises response.
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament's vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
NPA started supporting Iraq in 1995 conducting mine clearance in the northern kurdish region. In 2010 NPA shifted its focus to southern Iraq, conducting capacity building and survey and clearance operations. In addition, and in support to the humanitarian releif effort resulting from the liberation of areas previously held by ISIL, NPA established an IED and Improvised Landmine clearance programme operating in northern Iraq, based out of Erbil. The progam has a planned 217 staff for 2018, operating out of 4 operational bases, 2 project offices and the country office in Baghdad.