IREX seeks qualified Media Literacy Expert candidates for an anticipated five-year, $15 million USAID-funded media development program in Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan. The objective of this activity is to generate a more balanced information environment in Central Asia to increase openness among youth and adults for differing ideas, opinions and perspectives. This, in turn, will increase engagement of youth and adults across Central Asia in more informed civic participation. The Media Literacy Expert will be based in Kazakhstan and will lead all efforts to bolster media literacy under the activity.
This position is contingent on funding. Citizens of Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Design, oversee, monitor and evaluate efforts to bolster media literacy in all three countries.
• Provide technical assistance to project partners and beneficiaries in the area of media literacy.
• In concert with the COP and DCOP, ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget.
• Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff, implementing partners, and project beneficiaries and work in close coordination with the COP and IREX home office.
• Perform other duties, as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
• At least seven (7) years of progressive international experience working in journalism, media sector strengthening and reform, or related fields.
• Familiarity with the challenges faced by media system actors in Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan, and a proven track record of working effectively with these.
• Familiarity with the key government stakeholders, relevant private sector actors and civil society organizations working on media issues, and an understanding of the dynamics and relationships among them.
• Substantial experience in implementing complex media development projects.
• Good knowledge of the media environments and their key challenges is essential
• Experience with highly interactive training approaches
• Openness to different perspectives is important; must value learning highly
• Ability to understand and teach critical thinking to me is more important than media literacy experience per se
• Behavior change experience desirable
• Conflict mitigation experience desirable.
• Excellent ability to communicate effectively on the technical aspects of implementation with a wide variety of stakeholders.
• Effective oral and written communication credentials.
• Strong representational and organizational skills.
• Fluent English and Russian language skills are required. Ability to speak regional/local languages, such as Tajik or Uzbek, strongly preferred.
Go to https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=on4F7fwX&s=Devex to submit your CV for consideration.
About the Organization
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.