The Medical Director is primarily responsible for technical design vision, strategy, design, implementation and management of the health programs at national level. The Medical Director will work in collaboration with the senior management team and health teams in the field to deliver high-quality health services to the targeted beneficiaries. The Medical Director will make frequent visits to the field sites to ensure the highest standards of service delivery. S (he) will ensure high-quality clinical services in all IMC-supported health facilities. S/he will monitor service quality, ensure that all staff are trained and well-supported, pharmaceuticals and other medical supplies are properly managed, and apply clinical-level data to national-level quality improvement efforts. The Medical Director will represent IMC in the national Health Cluster, Health Forum and other technical working groups.
The Medical Director role is to bring both a general thematic and CO perspective to the program design and activities in-country. The Medical Director will not only provide has extensive program design and field experience in a specific thematic area (preferably within a Medical Organization such as MSF, MDM, IMC) but has been trained to understand general thematic needs and to coordinate and provide support to programs accordingly.
As coordinator and focal point expertise in reporting and technical support chains, the Medical Director serves as a competent link between countries thematic. The Medical Director purpose is to help facilitate synergistic and well-advised programs that bring better outcomes for beneficiaries, the CO, HQ, and donors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Technical Monitoring and Program Quality
- Be responsible to define, monitor and update the medical content of the IMC country policy, annual plan and budget, by scanning health needs through exploratory missions and implementation of health information system, elaborating, monitoring and reviewing project proposals, determining, necessary resources in order to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk. This will be done ensuring linkage with the community, its proximity by safe-guarding medical ethics and the quality of medical programming (i.e. Relevance, effectiveness, safety, accessibility and appropriateness of IMC’s medical interventions, as well as “best practices” clinical management of patients;
- Follow, advice, and coordinate the planning and implementation of thematic programs in the country. Analysis of general context and particular for the areas where project are implemented;
- Work closely with program managers and sub-thematic coordinator (Nutrition, HIV, Rep Health etc.) to understand general progress, to identify thematic needs, to target program potential, and to facilitate CO objectives;
- Consolidate and interpret monthly thematic program reports in order to inform Program director and Country Director as well as to shape program strategies and direction. Additionally, if connected to a Member project, provide regular technical support to programs as determined;
- Work closely with the Country Director and the Senior Program Manager to ensure smooth running of health programs and provide technical supervision of, and technical support to the organizations health programming activities;
- Be responsible to ensure security related to medical issues (Bio-security, universal precautions and health and safety in the workplace) is guaranteed to the highest possible level, by implementing all IMC SOP, protocols and procedures (i.e. Use of condoms, needle accidents, etc.)
- Coach, and directly support project coordinators and medical teams in the implementation of the medical activities, translating the IMC health policy and identified health needs into project objectives and activities in order to ensure high quality health assistance to population and that mission medical
- Ensure activities are consistent with established best practices, acceptable international (WHO/SPHERE) and national standards as well as ensure programs across different sites in the country are of comparable quality by encouraging transfer of good practices form one field site to another;
- Ensure health programs utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines according to Ministry of Health and WHO;
- Work closely with the country director, senior management and field teams to determine the operational needs of the medical program within the scope of the grants;
- Oversee the collection and timely reporting of data and statistics for all programs (including objectives, indicators and outcomes of health programs) according to internal and donor requirements ;
- Review monthly field and donor reports and ensure appropriate follow up and decision making on data relevant to the organizations health programs;
- Where feasible work with government health authorities and international agencies such as WHO to ensure implementation of standardized national health information systems
- Work with field teams, partner agencies and national health authorities for outbreak preparedness and contingency planning ;
- Ensure timely and adequate provision of supplies and drugs through review of pharmacy consumption reports, national drug protocols, program budgets, acquisition of partner agency and UN drug kits, and health information materials;
- Be accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission, including projects;
- Be accountable for and supervise the medical technical aspects and, in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator, the material aspects of the programs (quality of drugs, safety and quality of health care facilities, consumptions, etc.) through regular field visits as well as analyze difficulties during the implementation (on district, provincial and national level) and report deviations as they appear (amongst the local authorities, the capital coordination team, field project teams and headquarters), in order to proactively provide the necessary solutions and achieve operational results.
- Be responsible for preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with Logistics Department, ensuring they are done according to guidelines and on time, and ensuring fulfillment of all procurement policies adhered to.
- Be responsible for the submission of all local medical purchase requests to RO /HQ If possible in the Country( Mali is not as the pre-qualification process failed)
- Ensure all stakeholders, including senior management team, the Health Technical Unit and donors are provided with updates, following the established reporting structures.
- Be responsible to define and size other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures and protocols in order to efficiently achieve the medical objectives in the mission
- Work with senior management team, field teams, regional desk and the Health Technical Unit in strategic planning for future health programs.
- Work with program coordinator and management team to draft concepts for future funding following the protocols and formats of each relevant donor.
- Provide technical input during proposal development and technical reviews, and feedback to the field to improve the quality of the final proposals;
- Strive to ensure as much as possible different health related sectors (Mental health, WASH, Nutrition, and GBV) are integrated into proposed programs.
Human Resources Management
- Represent the organization to UN, health cluster, international and national NGOs and Ministry of Health at health coordination meetings as well as other meetings which are relevant to country programs and enhance the organizations visibility (I.e. task force meetings, assessment missions, camp coordination meetings, UN coordination meetings, INGO coordination meetings) in order tobroaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthen the impact of the medical intervention and support advocacy actions initiated.
- Serve as the principal liaison with MOH on matters related to the program to ensure programmatic accountability;
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors.
- Assist in the selection and training of health staff, recommend promotions, and implement disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with the Country Director and Finance Director.
- Be responsible to contribute to the proper induction of all staff, ensuring that medical briefings and debriefings are done to all staff
- Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff.
- Ensure professional development for national health staff through assessment of training needs and capacity building activities to ensure sustainability of programs;
- Support direct supervisors in ensuring staff performance evaluations and professional development plans are in place.
- Work closely with the medical coordinators and health teams to determine the training needs of the medical staff.
- Collaborate with national health authorities and relevant international health agencies for the development of an approved curriculum to meet training needs and implement those plans through the management team and field teams;
- In close collaboration with the HR team, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission to ensure the implementation of medical activities in the mission.
- Act as the Medical Reference of the Mission, informs the health team of the available medical material, and ensure all medical
- Work closely with country senior management team and the Health Technical Unit
- Ensure program progress through communication with Country Director, Logistics Staff and Finance team to ensure coordination of programs supplies are consistent with management of budgets, including budget forecasting, development of spending plans.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Collaborate with security officer/CD in order to maintain security of health staff in the field
- Ensure application and compliance of security protocols and policies
Hiring and Training
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps
- Focal Point health need to undergo the relevant trainings in sub-themes, management, reporting methods, and our structure, mission, and vision (if from outside IMC)
- Training elements include refined induction packages with sub-theme essential information (standardized across countries) as well as face-to-face trainings
- Ideally, Focal Point TA sit in the country office and already have a strong working knowledge of IMC thematic programs in the area
- Recruitment processes should consider and encourage hiring from within; PMs and national TA, for example, are well-positioned to become Focal Point TA if they meet essential qualifications and can be provided the additional relevant trainings upon hiring.
- The leadership of this position is a big asset to be considered.
Compliance & Ethics
Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum medical degree; preferably with a Master’s in Public Health
- 7 years of field experience in thematic area
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a position of thematic coordination at national level
- Must have excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Must have excellent self-motivation skills;
- Strong oral and written skills in French and English;
- Strong working knowledge of country context;
- Strong report-writing and analytical skills;
- Strong communication and diplomatic;
- Experience in effectively dealing with international and headquarters staff, as well as donor agencies, government officials, and other NGO’s; the ability to work with a broad spectrum of people ;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently;
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations;
- Ability to relate to and motivate staff effectively;
- Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources ;
- Ability to assume non-medical responsibilities from time to time to cover for other team members;
- Skills and knowledge in program sustainability and capacity building, public-private partnerships and project monitoring and evaluation (both quantitative and qualitative methods);
- Proven capabilities in leadership required;
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organization skills;
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status;
About the Organization
International Medical Corps UK is a global humanitarian organization saving and rebuilding lives through health care, training and community development. International Medical Corps UK works alongside International Medical Corps Worldwide, responding to humanitarian emergencies and communities afflicted by conflict, poverty and natural disaster in more than 20 countries around the world.
International Medical Corps and International Medical Corps United Kingdom with headquarters in the United States and the United Kingdom respectively, work collaborate to maximize resources for the delivery of appropriate relief and development activities.