Over the past 40 years, Medical Care Development International (MCDI), the international health division of Medical Care Development, Inc. (MCD), has worked to strengthen health systems through practical, evidence-based and high-impact interventions across several public health sectors in over 40 countries. MCDI collaborates with donors, national governments, the private sector, health agencies, communities and local stakeholder to improve the health outcomes of vulnerable populations. By joining MCDI, employees join a diverse network of highly capable individuals, many of whom are experts in their field.
Since the beginning of 2019 until 2023, the former Bioko Island Malaria Control Project (BIMCP) and the Equatorial Guinea Malaria Vaccine Initiative (EGMVI) have merged into the Bioko Island Malaria Elimination Project (BIMEP). The BIMEP is funded by Marathon Oil and partners, and the Government of Equatorial Guinea (EG). The Project implementation will be carried out by Medical Care Development International (MCDI) with the collaboration of EG Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MoHSW), Sanaria Inc., Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) and the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (SwissTPH), among many stakeholders. The BIMEP applies the implementation, research results, and “lessons learned” from both, the former BIMCP and EGMVI throughout over almost two decades of malaria control and vaccine research, and also guides its efforts into a single malaria elimination program. In addition, MCDI is also implementing the Cervical Cancer Screening and Treatment (CCST) Project in Equatorial Guinea on behalf of Noble Energy.
Medical Care Development Inc., is actively seeking a full-time Medical Entomology Officer (MEO) to support with our team in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea. The BIMEP MEO will be provide over all technical support for all country entomological monitoring activities.
· Managing and providing technical assistance to all In-country entomological monitoring activities, including vector monitoring, larval source monitoring, insecticide resistance monitoring, insecticide resistance management, and vector control implementation monitoring
· Conducting entomological operations and devising and implementing strategies for sampling and controlling mosquito’s outdoors
· Provide technical support and quality assurance as required to the indoor residual spraying component, ensuring that the IRS activities are implemented in a manner consistent with desired quality assurance standards.
· Design study protocols and conduct operational research (i.e. small-scale trials) to assess the effectiveness of IRS
· Mentoring, training and overseeing the effective transfer of job competencies to NMCP Entomologists and performing adapt the on-the-job capacity building if necessary
o As needed, prepare course syllabi, curricula, training materials and evaluative tools for the training identified in the on-the-job capacity-building plans. Ensure that the capacity-building plans are implemented in a correct and timely manner,
· In collaboration with the national IEC/BCC Officer, support the implementation of an effective IEC/BCC plan and activities promoting acceptance of IRS and the use of LLINs.
· In close collaboration with the MCDI HO provide technical guidance at the field level for the organization and management of the LLIN “hang-up” and “keep-up” activities
· Assume primary field-level responsibility for establishing and overseeing the management of an Insectary and Vector Control Laboratory**
· Manage and provide technical support for vector monitoring, larval surveys etc., **
· The MEO will ensure that all entomological monitoring data are routinely uploaded to servers
· Representing MCDI and the BIMEP in relevant meetings with partners
· Assist in the production of sections of the quarterly and annual reports based on the standard format developed for the Project.
· Assist as required in the preparation of presentations for national, regional and international technical meetings.
· Assist in the preparation of other bulletins, news releases, and analyses of Project performance as required.
· Performing other activities/duties as determined and agreed to by/ with the BIMEP Director.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· A graduate and post-graduate degree in Medical Entomology (or equivalent), PhD preferred.
· At least five years field and laboratory experience working as an entomologist preferably within a malaria control program. PhD studies may be considered as compensatory for lack of applied field experience.
· Good interpersonal skills, team player, able to work under stress. Sensitivity to the concerns of the developing world and able to work with local and national authorities and community-based providers from different cultural backgrounds.
· Willingness to conduct extensive field work, traveling and residing under difficult conditions.
· Good oral and written communication skills, English and working knowledge of Spanish; willingness to receive intensive training in Spanish, as needed, during the contract period.
· Highly computer literate, familiar with Microsoft Office applications, database management, statistical analysis, presentations, and electronic communication.
· Teaching experience would be an asset.
Location: Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea
Position Type: Full-Time
Expected Position Start Date: February 12th, 2021
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be open until filled.