To assist countries combat the burden of falsified and substandard medicines, the USAID-funded program, Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+), implemented by USP, assists countries in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean to develop sustainable Post-marketing Surveillance (PMS) programs. PQM+ has developed the Medicines Risk-based Surveillance (MedRS) Tool to assist countries effectively implement risk-based post-marketing surveillance. The MedRS tool automates the science and practice of risk-based post-marketing surveillance into a single platform. The tool evaluates three dimensions of risk—medicines, geographic location, and supply chain—to assist countries identify the most susceptible medicines, determine the number of samples required, and prioritize sampling to the most vulnerable locations
USP seeks a short-term technical consultant with expertise in developing a data driven web application using:
a. HTML/CSS HyperText Markup Language (HTML)
c. PHP using Yii Framework.
d. MySQL database
to assist with functional enhancements needed to a web-based PMS simulator tool housed on Amazon EC2 web services. Period of Performance for this consultancy will start November 2020 – March 2021.
The consultant will reply with an estimation of the level of effort (LOE) and how long it will take to accomplish this task (duration).
Working under the direction and guidance of the Sr. Technical Lead, the candidate will be responsible for providing technical assistance in reviewing and providing solutions to the MedRS Web Based Tool.
1) Editing – correcting typos, grammar, spelling, adding resources, changes to button or header names
2) Recommend user experience enhancements based on best practices (e.g.,, contextual help, intuitive design)
3) Advising team on more user friendly and standard language for improvements
4) Assess and update current User Guide (a hyper linked Ppt slides for “how-to” assistance)
5) Write code to enhance MedRS tool functionality; Functional upgrades may incorporate the following:
a. Ability to use tool offline and have it sync when internet is present or embed downloadable data collection files that can be easily uploaded into Web based tool as appropriate
b. Develop interface to provide ability to upload sampling data from
i. PQM+ sample collection tool or
ii. WHO mobile data collection tool
iii. Application should be compatible to Integrated Regulatory Information Management Systems
c. Automatically generating reports
d. Simple dashboards to facilitate use of tool by end-user and admin
e. Add search capability
f. Adding instructional guidance within tool
i. Where – multiple data fields in the tool, but primarily in the Model
ii. How - Possibly with pop-ups. Best approach to be determined in due course
· User Testing – report
· Functioning online tool
· Data sources
· All source documents updated and in a usable format
· Appropriate data files according to USP IT
application source code use a version control system which will allow us to track the history changes of the code
· Workshop and demonstration on how the tool works
· Handover meeting with USP PQM+ and USP-IT key stakeholders
· Add automated backups of the database
· Add automated backups of the file system
· Security review of application
· Security review of AWS environment
· Patching of servers where the application runs
· Review of purpose of servers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
1. HTML/CSS HyperText Markup Language (HTML)
3. PHP using Yii Framework.
4. MySQL database
5. Workbench database administrator
6. Git - a distributed version-control system for tracking changes in source code during software development.
7. Linux OS (Red hat, debian, CentOS, others)
Period of Performance
November – March 2021 (Specific tasks to be performed will be milestone based with applicable timelines, but not to exceed the consultancy period of performance)
Please send CV, 3-References, and Hourly Rate to ATTN: Hana Keno, Senior Procurement Specialist, at GPH_Procurement@USP.org by the closing date of November 16, 2020.
When submitting your application, write “MedRS Tool: technical updates for web-based application - consultant” in the email Subject Line.