Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research, evaluation and implementing programs in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. We work with our clients to implement bold, innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors, contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Abt Associates is an organisation that has a personal commitment to its staff and as such we value the long-term relationships that we build with the people who work for us.
Investing in Women
Investing in Women (IW) is a multi-country Australian Government initiative in Southeast Asia that seeks to improve women’s economic participation as employees and as entrepreneurs and influence the enabling environment to promote Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE). It commenced in April 2016 with operations in the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and Myanmar and is due to run through to June 2023. It is managed out of the Gender Equality Branch (GEB) of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Canberra. The Program is supporting the following outcomes:
- More businesses achieve improved gender equality in their workplaces;
- Intentional impact investments in women’s small and medium enterprises (WSMEs) increase; and
- Positive shifts in gender norms related to workplace gender equality.
For more information, see www.investinginwowen.asia
The MEL Director will be the principal liaison point between DFAT, Investing in Women and program partners on MEL activities. The successful candidate will demonstrate both technical M&E skills and the ability to work flexibly with implementation teams in rapidly changing environments. S/he will be responsible for:
- Implementing the activities which comprise the IW MEL System (either directly, through the MEL team or via management of technical advisory inputs);
- Ensuring the System is efficiently meeting the program’s information needs; and
- Ensure MEL planning and execution is well coordinated with the component teams
Specific duties of the MEL Leader include:
- Ensure all aspects of MEL System design and delivery are underpinned by robust conceptual frameworks for gender equality and women’s economic empowerment;
- Ensure the MEL system’s key questions, performance indicators, and focus of data collection aligns with the (evolving) information needs of the Program;
- Work with DFAT (GEB) in relation to MEL and to ensure that the MEL provides data that is relevant to DFAT’s reporting requirements
- Work collaboratively with program staff and partners to develop and agree data collection, reporting and dissemination approaches that are technically robust, fit-for-purpose and efficient;
- Work collaboratively with partners and ensure the MEL team supports adaptive learning and capacity building with the IW implementation team and partners;
- Guide, coordinate and provide technical leadership on all MEL designs, methods and outputs – either directly or via oversight of short-term technical specialists;
- Oversee reporting and dissemination of MEL results (in collaboration with other parts of IW); and
- Ensure effective planning and team and budget management.
- Masters or Post Graduate studies in social sciences, demonstrating use of M&E methodologies and/or applied research methods
- Demonstrated technical capacities in quantitative and/or qualitative methodologies such as design and implementation of focus group discussions, semi-structured interviews, survey design, data analysis and reporting, with proven experience using MEL as a tool for social change, advocacy and knowledge building; especially in the issue of gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Minimum of 7 years of experience demonstrating strong leadership skills as a senior manager in overseeing, managing and/or leading teams in the implementation of MEL systems for complex international development / aid programs (including collection and analysis of large dataset)
- Strong stakeholder communication and facilitation skills and ability to work flexibly with internal and external stakeholders, including DFAT and private sector entities
- Demonstrated flexibility working with implementation teams in rapidly changing environments
- Understanding of DFAT’s Monitoring and Evaluation Standards
Further Information & Application
Further information regarding this opportunity, including how to apply, can be found in the Information for Applicants attachment found in the ‘More Information’ section below.
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website and MUST include a CV and covering letter addressing the key requirements listed above.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women.
Applications close: Monday, 18th March 2019 – midnight (AEST)
We welcome and thank all applicants however; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.