DevTech Systems, Inc. implements the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Activity. The Activity provides continuous, on-the-ground, on-demand and systematic support to USAID/Nigeria and implementing partners on performance monitoring, data verification, impact and performance evaluations, project and activity level monitoring, evaluation planning and management, organizational learning, capacity building, and knowledge management. DevTech is seeking a highly qualified senior MEL specialist with project management experience to manage these efforts.
Scope of Work:
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) specialist provides technical support to USAID and its implementing partners (IP). Under the guidance of the Senior MEL Specialists and the Chief of Party (COP), the specialist will work with the MEL Activity’s Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) and other USAID technical staff to develop methods and systems required to meet the deliverables required for MEL tasks.
S/he will be responsible for reviewing evaluation scopes of work, managing evaluations, analyzing and interpreting the results of surveys and gathering and analyses for assessments, evaluations, baselines, data quality assessments and other M&E data gathering efforts. The specialist will also provide key expertise in the design and analysis of results, and capacity-building related to the Mission’s goal of furthering collaboration, learning and adapting (CLA) internally and with its partners.
Deliverables, Level of Effort, & Schedule:
- Expertise with USAID policies and practices for performance monitoring including developing activity-level MEL plans, indicator development to track outcomes and closely monitor indicators, among other areas of education-specific expertise.
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, data quality assessments, statistical methods and performance monitoring and reporting.
- Expertise in the design, management, and implementation of evaluations of development interventions, including experimental and quasi-experimental methods.
- Excellent team work, inter-personal skills, verbal and written communication, and facilitation skills.
- Expertise in tailoring blended learning and presentations to a variety of audiences, including USAID, implementing partners, and government stakeholders.
- Ability to ensure the timely delivery of quality reports and other deliverables related to M&E and performance management.
- A minimum of a Masters’ degree in development studies, education, educational research, evaluation, statistics, or another relevant technical subject.
- Minimum of 5 years’ of progressively responsible professional experience in M&E including experience tracking learning outcomes
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in international development in education focused on access to education (returning out-of-school children to classrooms), early grade reading, formal and/or non-formal learning centers
- Minimum of 5 years in project management, preferably with USAID
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in northern Nigeria; preferably the northeast with an understanding of education in crisis or conflict-affected environments.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to summarize multiple data sources in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent data collection, cleaning and management skills applied to data drawn from multi-year, multi-site, multi-level education projects; with experience presenting these data for use in programmatic decision-making
- Ability to create organizational work plans based on higher-level goals
- Ability to lead and coordinate multiple offices through multiple step processes without being a direct supervisor (although appropriate authority will be given)
- Skills in supporting staff with a variety of levels of knowledge and capabilities
- Strong organizational skills to balance competing priorities
- Ability to work independently to efficiently meet deadlines
- Oral and written communication skills to deal effectively with mid and high-level partner contacts, the host government, and the local communities.
- Ability to apply Agency regulations and procedures to daily work requirements
- Professional fluency in English, written and spoken.
- Professional fluency in Hausa, written and spoken
About the Organization
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. We are a data driven organization that specializes in informing policy making by delivering focused data-driven evidence-based analysis products and services. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.
This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements outlined here are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.