Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation (MEL) Specialist
Reports To: Chief of Party
Type: Regular, Full-time
Overview: International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI) is seeking an experienced Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist for an anticipated USAID M&E and capacity building contract in Malawi. This is a mission-wide platform that will provide MEL services and capacity building support to USAID/Malawi and its implementing partners (IPs). The anticipated period of performance for this contract is mid-2020 to mid-2025 and work will be performed in Lilongwe, Malawi. This position is open to international and local applicants, with a preference toward local applicants. This position is contingent upon award.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Lead the design and development of monitoring and evaluation systems and processes, as required to meet USAID/Malawi objectives.
- Lead capacity building efforts about M&E for USAID, implementing partners, and relevant project and technical staff.
- Provide management and oversight of all data collection efforts across sectors, e.g. baseline assessments, performance evaluations, and data quality assessments (DQA).
- Manage standards of data quality, integrity, precision, validity, reliability and timeliness related to monitoring and evaluation processes, per USAID standards and regulations.
- Lead the assessment and evaluation teams for specified evaluations requested from USAID, organizing fieldwork, writing detailed and contractible scopes of work for consulting services, and developing work plans, presentations and reports.
- Partner with the Chief of Party to represent project team to donor and key stakeholders, including in the preparation of key reports and documents, and in showcasing and presenting findings at conferences, etc.
- Lead analysis of data for internal and external reporting, using dynamic data visualizations.
- Serve as liaison between key stakeholders.
- Use data results for learning and adaptive management, in accordance with USAID’s Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) model.
- Manage information transfers between data systems and evaluation teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Previous experience recruiting and supervising field staff, researchers and consultants.
- Proven ability to write detailed and contractible scopes of work.
- Demonstrated experience training staff and enumerators in data collection processes and standards.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of USAID MEL policy and Automated Directives System.
- Excellent analytic skills, oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and team management skills.
- Experience with programming focused on food security food aid, food distribution, and/or gender equality is preferred.
- Experience working with USAID’s CLA model and awareness of Knowledge Management theories a plus.
- Experience leading data collection efforts using mobile technologies and GPS mapping a plus.
- At least 10 years’ experience developing and supporting MEL plans and processes, including developing performance monitoring plans, indicator tracking processes and systems.
- Must have at least five years of experience in the design and implementation of qualitative and quantitative inquiry methods and results, preferably with USAID-funded programs.
- Oral and written fluency in English required; fluency in Chichewa desirable.
Education: Master’s degree in International Development, Evaluation, Statistics or related fields required. Background in health also desirable.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment. Work will be performed in Lilongwe, Malawi.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: Travel in and around Malawi is required.
Work Authorization: Candidate must be authorized to work in the United States or Malawi.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. We are an E-Verify Employer. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.
About the Organization
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture and food security, governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.