Internews is seeking a Finance and Administration Director for a potential USAID-funded program in Mexico on investigative journalism. The Finance and Administration Director will oversee the financial, operational and administrative aspects of the project. Responsibilities will include financial compliance and record-keeping; forecasting project spending; oversight of subgrant agreements with a primary focus on financial reporting; ensuring compliance with USAID and Internews rules and regulations; supporting internal and external audits; and mentoring and managing partner organizations and local staff.
The position is based in Mexico and requires a 100% level of effort commitment for the five-year period of performance. Applicants would need to be available starting in fall 2018.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Monitors program accounting and documentation to ensure compliance with USAID requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures
- Ensure proper spending procedures, documentation, and data entry
- Support the COP in project planning, budgeting, and administrative oversight
- Develop, maintain and monitor internal controls
- Report to Chief of Party, the Internews regional office and Internews US headquarters
- Supervise all contractual commitments and ensure compliance with Mexican law, Internews policies and USAID regulations
- Manage all bank accounts, transfers and local payments to suppliers and staff
- Manage procurement processes according to Internews policies and USAID regulations
- Monitor grants, contracts and sub-agreements
- Ensure compliance by all sub-grantees to Internews and United States government regulations
- Communicate with subgrantees on compliance issues and provide training/guidance as needed
- Prepare contracts for and oversee local staff and consultants according to Mexican law and Internews regulations, and liaise with local counsel as needed
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience managing finances and operations for large international NGO programs; including senior management experience
- Extensive knowledge and experience with USAID regulations, policies and grant procedures
- Direct experience managing the finances and administration of US government-funded projects
- Experience with project financial management including financial controls, sub-grants management, accounting and audits, as well as reporting on accruals, pipeline, and expense validation and reimbursement to service providers
- CPA or Accounting degree desirable, MBA highly desirable
- Experience supporting international development projects in Mexico preferred (especially experience with local laws and regulations); experience in the Latin America region required
- Excellent written and spoken English and Spanish
- Advanced computer skills, including proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, Internet, and Quick Books
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
About the Organization
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For close to 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. Our decentralized and entrepreneurial model gives us the local flexibility to find the best solutions and the nimbleness required to work in a rapidly changing, uncertain and complex world. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.