Internews seeks a Senior Media Specialist for a potential USAID-funded program in Mexico on investigative journalism. The Senior Media Specialist is responsible for capacity building of Mexican media partners, including work to design and lead activities in data and investigative journalism and media business sustainability. The Specialist will be delegated other management responsibilities by the project Chief of Party (COP) as appropriate, including staff performance management, project management and senior representation roles.
The position is based in Mexico and requires a 100% level of effort commitment for the five-year period of performance. Applicants would need to be available starting in fall 2018.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Technical support, guidance and mentoring to media partners and beneficiaries in data and investigative journalism
- Work with the Chief of Party, local partners, and local staff to design innovative funding strategies and sustainable business models that support Mexican media outlets
- Maintain in-depth understanding of issues affecting the media community in Mexico, including security and political factors
- Work with national and sub-national media outlets and journalists to develop networks and engage local resources in support of investigative journalism
- Work with program management team to ensure effective implementation of local media partner activities as well as advise on local partner progress
- Strengthen and oversee curriculum development, training and mentoring activities
- Provide technical input on formal reporting requirements and development and implementation of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- At least five (5) years’ experience in media development and program management
- Extensive expertise in political and media analysis
- Experience in Mexico required
- Experience in data and investigative journalism
- Experience leading or co-leading dynamic in-depth trainings preferred (particularly for journalists/media)
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Experience providing technical assistance on USG-funded media and projects in complex development environments
- Thorough understanding of the technical, political and social issues specific to Mexico, particularly relating to freedom of expression and the enabling environment for media
- Experience in journalism training and media capacity-building preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with local and international partners, staff, and government officials
About the Organization
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For close to 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. Our decentralized and entrepreneurial model gives us the local flexibility to find the best solutions and the nimbleness required to work in a rapidly changing, uncertain and complex world. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.