Cardno is currently seeking a qualified, short-term Mid-Level Geologist experienced in project planning, permitting, and engineering for soil and sediment containment systems and related projects for a USAID-funded dioxin remediation project in Vietnam. The Engineer will be part of the remediation team and support the preparation of detailed design plans and specifications for each approved non-treatment activity.
Scope of Work
The Geologist will be responsible for supporting the development of a remedial treatment system at an airbase in Vietnam.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the development of a 10% design package for a remedial treatment system, including development of documents related to site conditions, system requirements, permitting, schedule and cost
- Correlate information from the Environmental Assessment, technical memos and other sources of information for specific sections of the design package
- Perform site visits, condition assessments, gap analyses, and/or develop engineering/planning solutions alternatives with associated strengths/weaknesses, costs and risks.
- Develop written report sections and/or sketches.
- Develop schedules, budgets, and internal tasks for assigned project elements.
- Engage with and/or manage internal and external team members/sub-consultants as and when required for assignments.
- Responsible for project progression
- Prepare work plans, assemble project team, delegate tasks and ensure compliance with scope and timely completion of tasks
- Work within the company project management protocols and procedures.
- Perform technical QA/QC of project deliverables.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Registered Professional Geologist (PG)
- 8+ years demonstrated experience working on engineering planning/design projects, with emphasis in USAID, DOD and/or federal agency remediation projects.
- Understanding of thermal remedial treatment processes
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with project teams.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines for policy driven clients with aggressive project schedules.
- Ability to exercise professional discretion and judgement; and a critical eye for detail, completeness, and competency
- Ability to simultaneously work on and manage multiple tasks with tight deadlines
- Ability to use computer software including MS Office suite, ACAD, CAD, etc.
- Previous experience with dioxin remediation
- Previous landfill experience
- OSHA HAZWOPER 40-hour training
- Experience in data collection and report preparation related to environmental site assessment and remediation
Position Location & Travel: Remote with potential travel to Bien Hoa, Vietnam
Assignment duration: Anticipated up to 80 working days from February – May 2020
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.