Job DescriptionMid-Level Researcher,
Centers for Advanced Studies (CAS) Evaluation,
Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM), Pakistan
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five (5)-year contract to Management Systems International (MSI) to provide performance management support to USAID-sponsored development programs throughout Pakistan. The Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM) serves as a centralized management support mechanism that provides services in (1) monitoring, (2) evaluation, (3) assessment, and (4) learning support. PERFORM provides data and information to help USAID/Pakistan project managers improve results through better implementation, design, and learning, enabling them to better target their programming to achieve goals and objectives.
***Please note: Only citizens of Pakistan are eligible for this position. ***
MSI is seeking three (3) experienced mid-level researchers to be part of the team that will conduct the midterm evaluation of U.S.-Pakistan Centers for Advanced Studies project. USAID/Pakistan, in coordination with the Pakistan Higher Education Commission (HEC), is supporting three (3) U.S.-Pakistan Centers for Advanced Studies (CAS) in energy and water that are supported by two (2) American universities. In conjunction with their U.S. partners, the centers are developing programs that produce graduates prepared to meet the needs of industry, government, and their communities through applied research. Project activities to support these objectives include: exchange programs, joint and applied research projects, building and equipping laboratories, developing/reforming curricula, improving university governance, and providing scholarships to support graduate and post-graduate training programs.
The midterm evaluation will assess the performance of five (5) of the awards under the CAS project. Results will help improve the implementation of these awards for the remaining project duration. The evaluation will assess the effectiveness of university partnerships, overall project management, and sustainability of the results, including the role of governance structures.
The mid-level researchers will assist the team in planning and conducting interviews with different stakeholders . The mid-level researchers will accompany the team in field, record discussions with permission, take real-time notes, moderate interviews (where required), prepare interview notes/transcripts in English, and code qualitative data in MaxQDA. The team will include a team leader, sector experts, and data analysts. The evaluation will begin on or about March 26, 2018 and finish on or about the end of June 2018. The anticipated level of effort for each mid-level researcher is approximately 50-55 days. The Mid-Level Researcher will be required to travel to any of the assigned field locations across Pakistan to participate in interviews.
- Review relevant documents and hold discussions with the team leader and sector experts to understand the scope and objectives of the study in general, as well as the in-depth interviews.
- Participate in a team planning workshop (TPW) in Islamabad to understand the evaluation design.
- Support pre-testing of data collection instruments.
- Work with the assignment manager and sector experts to develop a schedule for in-depth interviews.
- Support team in arranging meetings with key stakeholders.
- Schedule interviews with various CAS stakeholders.
- Gather comprehensive and high-quality notes from field interviews and record discussions, with permission.
- Listen to audio recordings and prepare high quality interview transcripts/notes.
- Revise transcriptions based on feedback from the assignment manager.
- Report regularly on data collection progress and quality aspects.
- In consultation with team lead and assignment manager, code the data in a MaxQDA
- Address incoming queries related to the dataset and ensure high quality standards in qualitative data management.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Assist with preparations for presenting results to USAID and implementing partners.
- Complete other tasks related to the assignment and the position as needed.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Two (2) years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience with note-taking and qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Prior experience with qualitative data analysis software like MaxQDA and NVivo is preferred.
- Understanding of water, energy or higher education sectors, and prior working experience in these sectors, are preferred.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills.
*Position will be filled on a rolling basis*
Candidates that have a real or potential conflict of interest in this evaluation will not be considered for this assignment. MSI will require a written statement to this effect before formal engagement on this assignment. Conflict of interest in this context includes, but is not limited to: close and/or family relations with the individuals that are related to the project, financial interest in the implementing organization(s) or grantees, current or previous experience with the project being evaluated or the USAID requesting office, etc.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.