The Centers of Excellence (COE) activity was designed by USAID and the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR) to support Egypt’s economic development by establishing “partnerships for human and institutional capacity building between higher education institutions in the United States and developing countries.” The COEs will strengthen the capacity of Egyptian universities to respond to changing public and private sector needs for applied research and skilled graduates in the sectors of agriculture, water and energy. As the Government of Egypt (GOE) body responsible for funding, overseeing, regulating, and accrediting higher education efforts in Egypt and ensuring the quality of higher education nationwide, MOHESR seeks through this project to build upon ongoing USG-supported efforts to strengthen higher education access and quality in key technical fields. Specifically, USAID and MOHESR intend to create a sustainable model for market driven university education in an environment that fosters scholarship supported equitable access for women, persons with disabilities, and academically qualified, yet financially needy students.
Objective and Specific Tasks:
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Advisor is responsible for coordinating the development of a monitoring, evaluation and learning plan for the project, including performance monitoring criteria.
- Lead and manage the design, implementation, and day-to-day management of all monitoring and evaluation activities related to the center’s 5 components.
- S/he will prepare all quarterly and annual reports and is responsible for all aspects of monitoring and evaluation under the Recipient’s activities, to include target setting, tracking of progress toward targets, development of monitoring and evaluation tools, and data analysis, storage, and management.
- S/he shall prepare the MEL plan for the Recipient in collaboration with the Egyptian university partner(s) MEL specialist(s) to ensure tight alignment between their respective MEL plans, specify division of labor, and enhance coordination for all aspects of MEL for their COE.
- As needed, s/he may provide short-term technical assistance to the Egyptian university partner(s) MEL specialist(s), to potentially include field visits to Egypt.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- A Master’s degree from an accredited, recognized university in a relevant field;
- A minimum of seven years of monitoring and evaluation experience using large donor systems and templates. Three of the seven years working experience in higher education programs; and
- Strong M&E skills, data analysis and report writing skills.
About the Organization
Our mission at Arizona State University is no less than revolutionizing the model for public higher education. We call it the New American University, and we began our transformation in 2002, led by President Michael Crow. Six years later, Newsweek hailed ASU as “one of the most radical redesigns in higher learning since the modern research university took shape.” By 2016 and again in 2017 and 2018, U.S. News and World Report named ASU the most innovative university, ahead of Stanford at #2 and MIT at #3. The ASU model has relevance for developing countries seeking to meet escalated expressions of challenges that we face in the United States. In 2015, ASU established ASU International Development to support cross-university pursuit of development projects. ASU ID provides a single point of contact for donors and partners seeking to access the university’s myriad resources. Since 2015, ASU has successfully implemented projects for USAID, the State Department, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, the Inter-American Development Bank, and private sector donors including foundations such as MasterCard and Gates. Countries of work include Brazil, Barbados, Haiti, India, Pakistan, West Bank, El Salvador, Vietnam, Indonesia, Peru, Mexico, Kenya, Nepal, Jamaica, Aruba and the Pacific Islands. ASU provides strong back-office support to its partners as one of the few university research enterprises to be ISO 9001-compliant.
ASU is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.