Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children, working in more than 120 countries. Every year, SC responds to multiple large-scale and complex emergencies around the world. Spearheading our humanitarian response is our Emergency Health Unit (EHU), which can deploy medical teams within 72 hours of a crisis. The EHU not only specializes in rapid provision of primary healthcare services, but also retains the capacity to manage disease outbreaks and deliver large-scale immunization programs. During the Ebola crisis, SC was at the heart of the response, establishing community care and Ebola treatment centers, and training health workers. SC is also leading community action on Zika in the Americas. Historically, SC has been proactive in preparedness and response to pandemic threats. Working with the Humanitarian Pandemic Preparedness initiative, SC contributed substantially to WHO guidance documents. SC’s Influenza Working Group also developed Pandemic Influenza Guidance, related to mitigating the consequences of a global pandemic.
Save the Children is recruiting a Lead Technical Advisor for a 3–year USAID/OFDA program on Infectious Diseases (with Epidemic or Pandemic potential) to Augment Capacity for a Humanitarian Emergency. This new Standby and Augment Capacity program will address critical, multi-sectoral response actor capacity gaps needed to maintain technical and operational readiness to ensure rapid response to infectious disease outbreaks with epidemic or pandemic potential that reach the scale of a humanitarian emergency. This program will serve to prepare to scale up critical population-level interventions for the control of infectious diseases of humanitarian concern. This may include activities such as (but not limited to) contingency planning and simulation exercises; the development or adaptation of toolkits, training of trainer activities, or development of technical guidance; establishment of rapid response teams, the development of rosters for surge capacity; augmentation of operational readiness and enhancing cross-sectoral, standard operating protocols and regional coordination mechanisms.
The M&E Advisor will provide technical leadership for the M&E aspects of the program, ensuring that the program’s strategy and objectives are achieved. This position will lead the team to set up a robust M&E system to capture program data, ensure data is used not only for monitoring implementation progress but also for decision-making in program direction and adjusting intervention strategy. At the same time, the post holder will also ensure that program achievements are well documented and learnings are shared across stakeholders. The post holder not only requires technical understanding of infection diseases, pandemic preparedness and response, but also requires practical experience in monitoring and evaluation, information management and substantial data analysis experience. This is a leadership position reporting to the program’s Chief of Party and will serve as a key member of the program team.
This position is contingent on the issuance of USAID funding and the selection of applicants is subject to USAID approval.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- Design and lead the implementation of the program’s M&E strategies. Ensuring appropriate monitoring, tracking and reporting systems, tools and templates that enhance monitoring of program outputs and quality, generate quality evidence on program outcome and promote and ensure use of data for decision-making processes; promote feedback mechanisms contributing to the strategic collaboration, continuous learning, and adaptive management for program strategies.
- Provide technical leadership and support to SC member organizations and consortium members in implementation of the program’s M&E strategies and support Operations/Implementation Research, including the development of tools, analytic plans, and report writing.
- Coordinate and oversee monitoring activities on program implementation, consolidate monitoring finds and share with related parties.
- Obtain, analyzing, reviewing and interpreting program data.
- Monitor and assess program implementation progress and provide feedback to colleagues and partners to improve program activities, program quality and management approaches.
- Develop and maintain systems to collect, analyze, and disseminate information on inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact of the program.
- Work directly with the program’s technical and knowledge management staff and will manage an M&E team to develop appropriate indicators and select the monitoring and measurement tools for program implementation and rollout.
Your background, experience, and skills set
- Master’s degree in Public Health with statistics, demographics, public policy, international development, economics, or related field focus or Bachelor plus an advanced certificate in M&E, statistics, or economics preferred.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation of multi-sectoral USAID programs. Previous experience on USAID health-focused programs preferred.
- Demonstrated ability and skills in analysis and report writing is essential.
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing monitoring and evaluation and/or performance monitoring plans.
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed-method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- Extensive experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods and analysis and the ability to oversee special program assessments, including experience planning and managing surveys.
- Demonstrated experience in health programming - particularly relevant to infectious disease prevention and response - and a demonstrated track record of working with local counterparts to promote and use program data and learning to guide decision making is essential.
- Experience developing and refining data collection tools.
- Knowledge and significant experience in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation frameworks and systems required for community development programs.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing monitoring systems and conducting evaluations especially for health programs.
- Able to work within a tight timeframe, managing M&E team members and meeting deadlines and deliverables to partners and donors.
- Strong working knowledge of health systems in regions which are at high risk for infectious diseases, including experience working to strengthen the capacity of local partners in data collection, analysis, reporting and data use is required.
- Prior experience working in hardship, challenging environments.
- Travel to project sites in-country is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is essential. A second language would be desirable.
What’s In It for You
- Meaningful work, with a knowledge that you are changing the lives of children and their families all around the world.
- A family friendly work environment.
- Highly collaborative and innovative teams.
- Generous paid vacation days, holidays, family leave days, and sick time.
- Healthcare plans including medical, dental, and life insurance.
- Retirement savings account with matching company contributions.
- Structured and formalized management development and coaching programs for mid and senior level managers.
- Extensive e-learning opportunities on a variety of topics offered through our affiliation with several prestigious universities as well as language learning opportunities.
About the Organization
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world's most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.