The World Health Organization declared Nigeria a high burden country for tuberculosis (TB), multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB), and TB-HIV, in part because of its low case detection rate. Improvements in TB case notification would contribute to an easing of Nigeria’s TB burden while also preventing the further spread of the disease. To improve case notification, Nigeria’s National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Programme (NTBLCP) is working to ensure that high-quality TB screening, diagnosis, and treatment services are available in both public and private sector health facilities.
In support of these goals, the USAID-funded Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Plus program is working across Nigeria to increase TB case detection and treatment through private sector approaches. In line with the International Standards for TB Care and Nigeria’s National Strategic Plan (NSP) for TB Control, SHOPS Plus is mandated to increase TB case notification by ensuring high-quality TB care through the entire TB service provision cascade in the public-private mix (PPM) settings. SHOPS Plus aims to increase the systematic screening of OPD attendees in clinical facilities and walk-in clients in stand-alone laboratories, community pharmacies (CPs), and patent and proprietary medicine vendor (PPMV) outlets. TB case detection will increase in private facilities with the prompt identification of presumptive TB, access to high-quality diagnostic services, and prompt treatment of diagnosed TB patients.
SHOPS Plus has been implementing program activities in Lagos and Kano States since October 2017. SHOPS Plus is currentlky expanding to additional states incluing Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross-River, Katsina, Nasarawa, Ogun, Rivers, Ekiti, Kwara, Bayelsa, Katsina, Jigawa, Zamfara, Kebbi, Gombe, Bauchi, Taraba, Adamawa, Yobe, Bornu, and the FCT. To rapidly scale up and maintain the coverage of high quality TB services in the private sector in these additional states, SHOPS Plus will engage representatives of umbrella organisations/associations of private practitioners as well as private facility leadership for effective programming. The project will strengthen technical and program support to select private sector facilities. Program support will include mentoring of clinicians and other facility staff, closely monitoring the TB service provision and reporting, facilitating access to government provided free TB drugs kits, and helping address challenges associated with TB detection, referral, and treatment.
Objectives and Summary of Program Support
SHOPS Plus seeks to engage a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Consultant to be based in Abuja and provide M&E oversight to select states under the direction of the Program M&E Coordinator. The consultant will provide quality assurance for the outcomes of the program’s Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and streamline actions required by private providers and program consultants in order to achieve this. The consultant will ensure that data collection is tailored to the project’s and providers’ needs for collecting and reporting data.
- Assist SHOPS Plus managers and technical leads in collecting, analyzing and reporting program data
- Assist in development of research instruments for endline surveys and exploratory research studies
- Support research analysis and interpretation including data cleaning and other minor quantitative tasks; draft presentations and reports of the studies carried out
- Support the M&E Program Coordinator in reviewing program data to monitor performance (including carrying out data quality assurance activities)
- Work with the M&E Program Coordinator in providing evidence-based input/feedback to facilitate program design, review and implementation
- Support in the reporting of program performance indicators to USAID and other stakeholders as may be necessary
- Make presentations on M&E as may be necessary (e.g. during trainings, meetings, etc)
- Support the development of program progress reports, case studies, and other documents as per program objectives
- Ensure the program’s information technology is strategically and cost effectively applied to the program’s needs for data reporting to the National and State TB programs and USAID
- Submit bi-weekly reports to the Program M&E Coordinator on activities including data collection, reporting, and data quality assurance
- Coordinate collection, coordination and analysis of completed supportive supervision visit checklists
- Conduct data quality assurance activities in supported states
- Coordinate collection of supportive TB data collection documents
- Conduct biannual data quality assurance visits to providers in supported states
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, demography, sociology, anthropology, social work, data science, monitoring and evaluation, or other relevant field. A Master’s degree or other relevant certificates will be an advantage.
- Five years (+ BS) or four years (+ MS) of relevant work experience, especially in the health sector
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems for project learning and results reporting
- Experience with methods and procedures for data acquisition, management and quality control
- Experience in qualitative and/or quantitative research techniques
- Excellent computer application skills, especially in use of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in quantitative/statistical research techniques using statistical packages like advanced Excel, STATA, SPSS, and R
- Familiarity with secondary data sources
- Ability to write technical papers and reports
- Strong abilities to implement capacity building activities, training and workshops
- Ability to assess problems and develop solutions
- Excellent organizational skills and oral and written communication skills in English
- Previous experience in projects with USAID funding or other donor agencies preferred
- Ability to travel frequently
- Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Please submit your application to NigeriaJobs@abtassoc.com. Be sure to put, “M&E Consultant (Abuja) - SHOPS Plus Nigeria Application” in the subject line of your email. If you would like to apply to more than one location, please submit an application for each location desired. Be sure to include your CV and any other relevant information in your email application. Note: you must attach a CV or your application will not be considered for employment.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com