About the Position
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Manager at the Foundation manages the monitoring and evaluating processes for grants in the following programme areas:
- Beyond the Net Funding Programme
We help Internet Society Chapters around the world implement local and regional projects that advance the vision of the Internet is for everyone.
- Strengthening Communities and Improving Lives & Livelihoods (SCILLS)
We expand economic growth, improve health outcomes and increase educational opportunities by supporting individuals and communities to more knowledgeably and skillfully use the Internet.
- Emergency Response Programme
We support organizations working on projects that utilize the Internet to improve lives during or in response to an emergency situation. In 2020, the Foundation’s focus is on projects that respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, both during the immediate period of the crisis and in the aftermath.
- Building Disaster Resilient Communities (Future)
We accelerate efforts to help communities enhance preparedness and build resilience for when they are faced with adverse events such as national disasters.
- Furthering Critical Network Research (Future)
We create opportunities to cultivate novel global research collaborations and strengthen the utility value of the Internet for all. This includes support for multi-disciplinary and integrated approaches to investigating the real or potential impact of the Internet on our society and the environment.
- Promoting Technological Innovations (Future)
We foster technological initiatives and the development of innovative technologies that accelerate Internet access.
This person leads the M&E activities including data collection, measurement and evaluation; monitoring outcomes; internal and external reporting and training, and grants sustainability analysis. The position also assists the Executive Director and Programme Officers in articulating desired impact (and measurement thereof) of the foundation’s grant programmes’ achievement of goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Measurement and Evaluation Framework and Strategies
- Develop and implement overall organizational performance measurement framework; including a Theory of Change for the Foundation and each programme, as well as a results framework with relevant KPIs;
- Lead, design and implement efficient performance measurement systems that allow accurate, reliable information collection and reporting. Support the POs in identifying the best evaluation tools for their programmes and ensure results are accurately captured and documented.
Evaluation and Learning
- Work with the Programme Officers and participate in evaluations for individual grants and overall programme area strategies;
- Advise the Executive Director and Programme Officers on M&E‐related strategies, procedures, and processes;
- Prepare and deliver periodic updates to the Executive Director on key findings from evaluation of grants and programme strategies;
- Work with Foundation leadership to respond and strategically adjust to findings and recommendations of evaluations;
- In coordination with the Communications Manager, support the effective dissemination of findings, conclusions, recommendations and lessons learned from evaluations, to intended audiences, with a view to improving the Foundation’s strategy/impact and contributing to wider sector learning;
- Stay current with M&E best practice.
- Provide technical guidance and support to ensure program area performance is systematically monitored and data for key indicators are collected, analyzed and reported;
- Train staff on tools that ensure proper application of evaluation techniques and applications;
- Work with staff to develop training tools for grantees and support grantees in identifying the most relevant KPIs for their projects.
Desired Qualifications & Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in research, monitoring and evaluation or related field required;
- At least 5 years previous M&E experience at a non-profit or government agency;
- Successful track record in designing effective M&E strategies and systems, and following‐up with quality implementation;
- Excellent planning and analytical skills, and attention to detail;
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills;
- Knowledge of research and current trends in Internet-related issues across geographies;
- Ability to travel, including international travel;
- Passion for, and demonstrated commitment to, a more accessible and trustworthy internet for all.
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications. Information about the Internet Society and the Internet Society Foundation and its activities may be found at:
Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee.
About the Organization
About the Internet Society & the Internet Society Foundation
The Internet Society (ISOC) supports and promotes the development of the Internet as a global technical infrastructure, a resource to enrich people’s lives, and a force for good in society. Our work aligns with our goals for the Internet Society to be open, globally connected, secure, and trustworthy. We seek collaboration with all who share these goals.
Together, we focus on building and supporting the communities that make the Internet work; advancing the development and application of Internet infrastructure, technologies, and open standards; and advocating for policy that is consistent with our view of the Internet.
The Internet Society Foundation (Foundation) a non-profit organization launched in 2019 that works in concert with the Internet Society. It exists to demonstrate and support the positive difference the Internet can make to people everywhere and promote the development of the Internet as a global technical infrastructure, a resource to enrich people’s lives, and a force for good in society. Our overarching goal is to positively impact humanity through an open, globally-connected, secure, and trustworthy Internet for all.