Call for Applications
Position Title : Monitoring and Evaluation Officer Duty Station : To be determined
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 November 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Country and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager/Chief of Party, and in close coordination with the Deputy Programme Manager/Deputy Chief of Party, the successful candidate will oversee the development and implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) activities, to produce evaluation reports, data and analysis based on the M&E activities and findings.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop the framework for Programme Monitoring and Evaluation, in coordination withprogramme management, ensuring that monitoring and evaluation arrangements comply with donor agreements and programme requirements.
- Oversee the Programme Monitoring and Evaluation Department effectively to ensurecomprehensive and detailed coverage of projects throughout all stages of the implementation and to provide relevant information for performance management and evaluation of programme activities.
- Monitor and review existing monitoring mechanisms and reporting documents including butnot limited to project-level M&E plans, data collection tools, Site Visit Notes and Final Evaluation Reports and strengthen where necessary.
- Develop comprehensive and effective evaluation mechanisms for the Programme inaccordance with the M&E plan.
- Develop new tools and systems, in coordination with the Programme Senior Managementand the Donor, to provide for:
- Greater versatility in grant design in relation to specific recipient communities;
- Streamlined information cycles;
- Improved adherence to programme standards and better responsiveness to issues arisingduring implementation.
- Guide the regular sharing of M&E findings with relevant stakeholders and ensure thatmonitoring data is discussed in the appropriate forums in a timely manner.
- Interact with the donor on a regular basis, to share monitoring systems and findings, anddiscuss avenues for improvement if necessary.
- Guide the process of identifying the key performance questions, indicators and parametersfor monitoring of program performance and achievements, and for preparing evaluations; review and analyse monitoring reports and identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation and identify corrective measures where necessary.
- Lead the grant closing process including the review of the final evaluations, verification of thedata base information and Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI)-Anywhere documentation.
- Build and strengthen the capacity of the M&E department through the recruitment andtraining of experienced staff, in coordination with the Resource Management Unit.
- Develop M&E trainings and other capacity buildings tools, in coordination with the M&Esupervisor, targeted for the programme staff.
- Prepare quarterly reporting on evaluation activities, for inclusion in Program QuarterlyReport; ensure overall revision of reporting documents including but not limited to M&E activity plans and Final Evaluation Reports to ensure adherence to project objective, for submission to the donor.
- Contribute to the strategic planning of the IOM Programme activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Substantial experience in the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation plans insmall-scale grants, preferably with experience in the field of research, monitoring and/or evaluation;
- Proven experience with strategic planning approaches, M&E methods and approaches,planning and implementation of M&E systems, information/data analysis and report writing; • Strong ability to understand, develop and implement administrative and financial control procedures;
- Previous work experience on similar programming;
- Sound knowledge of development programme planning and implementation objectives;• Ability to use Access databases and Microsoft Excel, Access, Outlook and Word software.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French or Spanish is an advantage based on program location. Knowledge of a local language is an asset.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences;encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistentwith organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committedmanner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieveshared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timelymanner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explainscomplex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category,candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment orvisa requirements and security clearances. No late applications will be accepted
Below is the list of the OTI-funded Programmes IOM is implementing in the respective five countries:
- SSI (Somalia Stabilization Initiative) – IOM Somalia;
- NCCI (Niger Community Cohesion Initiative) – IOM Niger;
- NDDRR (Nigeria Disarmament, Demobilisation, Reintegration, Reconciliation) – IOM Nigeria;
- BHRI (Bosnia and Herzegovina Resilience Initiative) – IOM Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- PTI (Pakistan Transition Initiative) – IOM Pakistan
As part of the application process, candidates may indicate which country(ies) they do not want to be considered for.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 November 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 11.10.2018 to 02.11.2018
Requisition: CFA 2018/43 - Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (55685451) Released
Posting: Posting NC55685452 (55685452) Released