Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Department/Location: Washington DC/Virginia and Madagascar
Reports To: Team Leader/Project Manager
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: Exempt Overview:
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI) is seeking an experienced Evaluation Specialist for the anticipated USAID Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Project (MEL) in Madagascar. This is a mission-wide platform that will provide monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) services to USAID/Madagascar and its implementing partners (IPs). Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Lead design and development of MEL systems and processes, as required to meet USAID/Madagascar objectives;
- Assist in MEL capacity building efforts for USAID, implementing partners, and relevant project MEL and technical staff;
- Provide management and oversight of all data collection efforts related to MEL services, e.g. baseline assessments, performance evaluations, and data quality assessments (DQA);
- Manage standards of data quality, integrity, precision, validity, reliability and timeliness related to monitoring and evaluation processes, per USAID standards and regulations;
- Support assessment and evaluation teams as needed, organizing fieldwork, writing detailed and contractible scopes of work for consulting services; developing work plans, presentations and reports; and conducting interviews and/or focus group discussions with key informants;
- Support the Team Leader in representing project team to donor and key stakeholders, including in the preparation of key reports and documents, and in showcasing and presenting findings at conferences and in other international fora;
- Lead analysis of MEL data for internal and external reporting, using dynamic data visualizations;
- Liaise with key stakeholders as necessary;
- Use data and results for learning and adaptive management, in accordance with USAID’s Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) model;
- Manage information transfers between data systems and evaluation teams; and
- Other tasks as directed by the Team Leader.
- At least 5 years of experience developing and supporting MEL plans and processes. May include designing survey and study tools and instruments; planning and managing key research, evaluation, and learning efforts; recruiting and supervising field staff, researchers and consultants; and training staff and enumerators in data collection processes and standards;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of USAID monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) policy and Automated Directives System (ADS);
- Excellent analytic skills, oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and team management skills;
- Experience with programming focused on health, food security/food aid, environment, climate change, and/or gender equality is preferred;
- Experience working with USAID’s CLA model and awareness of Knowledge Management theories a plus;
- Experience leading data collection efforts using mobile technologies and GPS mapping a plus; and
- Experience in training others in data collection and management a plus.
- Must have at least five years of experience in design and implementation of qualitative and quantitative research methods and results, preferably with USAID-funded programs; and
- Must be fluent in oral and written English and French.
Work is typically performed in an office environment, with some time spent in the field
Master’s Degree in International Development, Global Affairs, Monitoring and Evaluation, Public Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, or related fields is required.
This position does not have supervisory requirements.
International Travel is required.
No phone calls, please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.
About the Organization
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting firm established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies, and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in the provision of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) services across many technical sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.