Urban Institute is seeking a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to provide technical services under USAID’s 5-year Government, Accountability, Participation and Performance Program (GAPP) program in Uganda. The program will work at both the national and local level to improve efficiency, transparency and accountability in government. The primary goal of GAPP will be to increase participation, accountability and strengthen local governance for effective service delivery. To achieve this goal, GAPP will focus on three key components: strengthening national level government accountability institutions; improving local government revenue, procurement, financial, and planning systems; and building the capacity of CSOs and other non-state actors to participate in local governance.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will provide technical oversight for the design, planning, and implementation of the project’s performance monitoring system. The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will also provide technical assistance and capacity building in the use of data analysis to support decision making and accountability at the national and local government levels.
- Monitor the development and implementation of M&E activities per the project’s performance monitoring plan (PMP);
- Provide desk and on-site technical oversight to M&E activities;
- Ensure adherence to M&E methodologies and systems using developed tools and indicators;
- Build core competencies of M&E staff in data collection, analysis and reporting;
- Provide technical assistance to implementing partners in the design and implementation of data collection tools;
- Prepare required reports and other deliverables.
- At least seven years prior experience in monitoring and evaluation for USAID-funded programs;
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of performance monitoring systems across multiple sectors, including health, public administration, and local economic development;
- Prior extensive project implementation and management experience.
- Statistical survey methodologies, including sample design, questionnaire development, training interviewers, data collection, data analysis and presentation;
- Design and implementation of impact evaluations.
Specific skills required:
- Computer proficiency in word processing, databases and spreadsheets; experience using data analysis packages (SPSS, STATA, SAS)preferred;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience in communicating complex processes to diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with USAID and host country counterparts.
Language requirements: Fluency in English required; knowledge of local languages preferred.
Education requirements: Master’s degree in public administration, statistics, social sciences, international development, or related field;
Position may be based in Kampala or Gulu, with extensive in-country travel expected. Position is contingent upon project award.
Only those major job duties necessary for proper job evaluation and/or labor market analysis have been included. Other duties may be assigned by the supervisor.
The Urban Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/H. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply