The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Kenya Mission intends to build on its history of youth programming in Kenya, including Yes Youth Can, Kenya Youth Employment and Skills, Generation, and the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), with a new generation of programming that harnesses the existing assets of these programs and youth themselves while evolving in light of lessons learned from these efforts. To achieve that, the mission is seeking to implement the Kenya Youth Empowerment Activity (KYEA) to support evidence-based and evidence-producing county-level models that empower youth and connect them directly to social and economic opportunities to improve their livelihoods and well-being.
This will be a five-year project based on Nairobi, Kenya, and is contingent upon award.
Kenyan Nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Advisor will be responsible for:
- Design and oversee performance and impact evaluations, cross-sector evaluations, whole-of-project evaluations for programming across USAID/Kenya’s Youth programming portfolio
- Design and oversee quality, development and completion of all assessments, analytical reports and evaluations
- Develop M&E plans, define project indicators, and collect and review monitoring data and contribute to performance and impact evaluations through questionnaire development
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation, analyses, and assessments throughout the life of the project, including the data quality assessments, participatory data collection methods and protocols, and data quality verification techniques
- Design, quality development and production of all data quality assessment reports, assist in the production of evaluations reports and any assessments, population-based surveys and studies including the testing of the development hypotheses
- Interpret outcomes of implementation through data or other evidenced-based sources and provide program recommendations as needed
- Assist in the management of field monitoring, evaluation design, empirical and statistical analysis, environmental compliance, and management of information systems
- Design of the evaluation methodology and participatory data collection methods and protocols for both performance and impact evaluations
- Support the maintenance of the Mission’s PMP and the development, maintenance as well as quality control of implementing partners’ M&E Plans and outputs
- A graduate degree in a relevant field, such as education, international development, non-profit management, with focus on evaluation methodologies OR a Bachelor’s degree and two years of work experience (in addition to the five years of experience required below)
- Five years of relevant experience in designing and implementing M&E and learning systems, preferably within education, livelihoods, or private sector development programs in Kenya or similar country contexts
- Experience in relevant technical areas, such as survey and research tool design, data collection, statistical analysis, qualitative research, and dissemination of results
- Experience in international development and program management, with substantive work in designing and implementing M&E and learning systems, preferably within education, livelihoods, or private sector development programs in Kenya or similar country contexts, preferably on a USAID project
- Demonstrated experience with working and facilitating partnership approaches at the community level, understanding of, and commitment to positive youth development and gender equality approaches and strategies around livelihoods and well-being, particularly for adolescent girls and young women
- Technical experience in education development and research and a strong understanding of higher education institutions and community development
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborating, learning, and adaptive management
- Strong understanding of multi-sectoral development theory and thorough working knowledge of USG operations, regulations, policies, procedures and programs desirable
- Strong understanding of the Kenyan context preferred
- Required fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili; fluency in other Kenyan languages preferred
About the Organization
QED is a global consulting firm with more than 20 years of experience providing data-driven and insightful solutions in more than 90 countries. We are passionate about transforming lives through knowledge-based solutions. Leveraging deep expertise in monitoring, evaluation, global health, and learning, we help our clients collect, analyze, visualize, and ultimately use data in more effective ways. Our work maximizes results through the use of cutting edge technologies and innovation, organizational development, and evidence-based decision-making.