The Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) activity in Timor-Leste is part of a global task order that works to strengthen health systems as a means to achieve universal health coverage and improve population health and well-being. Interventions will focus on reducing financial barriers, holding health services accountable for meeting all clients’ needs and making sure that the care patients receive meets minimum standards. LHSS’s Timor-Leste activity will support the Government of Timor-Leste to effectively and sustainably govern, finance, and deliver quality and affordable essential health services while being responsive and accountable to users and an engaged civil society. The activity’s tentative objectives are to strengthen health sector governance, improve healthy behaviors, and improve health advocacy and civic engagement for health system strengthening.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Lead to support the LHHS project in Timor-Leste. Within the LHSS project, the MEL Lead will be supported by LHSS home office-based operations, finance, MEL, and technical expertise. The MEL Lead will report to the Chief of Party.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The MEL Lead will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of the project MEL plan, indicators, and learning agenda, including developing relevant indicators for the LHSS Timor-Leste team and measurable milestones within the team’s sustainability plan. Update the MEL plan as needed throughout the project’s implementation.
- Work with MEL stakeholders in the MOH and the LHSS Home Office MEL team to create LHSS’s results framework for Timor-Leste that establishes a causal pathway from activities and outputs, to intermediate results, and ultimately to the program’s desired outcomes and impact.
- Coordinate stakeholders and partners in Timor-Leste to select a set of common indicators and measurement approaches that will align LHSS activities with the needs of Timor-Leste.
- Manage a rigorous approach to MEL to measure performance toward specific goals and objectives, including quantitative, qualitative, and participatory methodologies.
- Design data collection tools, schedules, and analysis methods in line with global project’s work plan management and monitoring system.
- Ensure data accuracy for reporting indicators across the LHSS Timor-Leste Activity, and timely reporting on indicators against expected project results.
- Lead efforts to strengthening a culture of learning at local levels with local stakeholders, including during trainings and other facilitated stakeholder engagements.
- Contribute to quarterly strategy reviews as well as drafting core components of program progress reports to USAID.
- Oversee local research activities conducted by Abt and LHSS project partners, including providing quality assurance of research design, methods, and analysis, and ensuring adherence to ethical research practices and compliance with Institutional Review Board (IRB) requirements.
- Drive the project’s overall learning agenda to derive lessons learned and best practices from project activities, and contribute to quarterly program reporting.
- Support the interpretation of MEL findings for project planning, decision-making, course-correction, and communication of implementation successes and challenges.
- Collaborate with the LHSS Home Office MEL team to ensure alignment with project-wide MEL processes and reporting requirements.
- Provide technical guidance, training, and mentorship to LHSS Timor-Leste project staff on MEL. Ensure timely and accurate reporting on MEL indicators, and successful implementation of MEL systems at all levels of the project.
- Master’s degree in statistics, social science, development economics or a related field and 8 to 10 years of experience in data management and analysis for M&E, learning, and adaptive management.
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing MEL systems on complex donor-funded development projects. Experience implementing MEL activities on health system strengthening projects is desirable.
- Experience managing MEL for USAID programs is desirable.
- Demonstrated expertise in both quantitative and qualitative research methods, and experience conducting statistical analysis.
- Experience leading and managing research projects that adhere to rigorous methodological and ethical standards.
- Skills in qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, and establishing MEL systems. Demonstrated ability to lead baseline data collection and analyses
- Knowledge of and experience with M&E frameworks, and reporting systems.
- Expertise in adaptive management, organizational learning/development, systems mapping, development of Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA)-related tools, CLA thought-leadership, and providing inputs on how CLA may lead to improved development outcomes
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and other MS Office software; data analysis software such as SPSS or Stata.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Proficient English writing/speaking skills required.
- Fluency in Tetum required.
- Strong communications, interpersonal, and presentation skills required. Ability to communicate program data and results to a variety of stakeholders, including program management staff, donors, and researchers.
- Timorese nationals are encouraged to apply.
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.