The IFES Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager shall work under the direction of the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Director to develop, manage, and implement progressive M&E activities to support IFES programming in the field and promote learning from program monitoring and evaluation initiatives. Technical areas of focus for this position include design and implementation support for program monitoring tools, facilitation of M&E trainings for staff and partners, conduct of innovative quantitative and qualitative evaluations, and support for an internal learning agenda for the organization.
The M&E Manager provides support on technical monitoring and evaluation issues to regional program divisions at IFES, and is a key part of learning initiatives within the organization. Specific duties include development and oversight of M&E implementation within IFES programs, as well as design and implementation of evaluation tools and methodologies to support adaptive management and learning processes.
- Contribute to the design of strategic initiatives in the development of M&E practices at IFES, and support management and implementation of these initiatives
- Work with M&E Director to research and identify strategic initiatives that can foster positive development of M&E practices at IFES, including incorporation of emerging methodologies and techniques in the IFES M&E toolkit;
- Collaborate with program teams and M&E staff to incorporate updated/revised M&E practices in IFES programming, and assess effectiveness of these implementations to develop organization-wide practices;
- Work with M&E Director to develop and test practices to incorporate M&E data in lessons-learned initiatives for IFES programming, and support implementation of an internal program evaluation process for IFES programs;
- Liaise with academics and other research professionals to identify innovative evaluation practices that can strengthen IFES programming, and work with program staff to identify opportunities to introduce innovative evaluation into IFES programs.
- Work under the direction of the M&E Director to support development and implementation of a Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) approach for the organization
- Collaborate with relevant internal stakeholders in the development of the CLA approach for the organization, and support implementation of this approach;
- Use M&E data to promote learning at both organization and program levels, and develop clear deliverables for learning products and for data sources;
- Work with relevant staff to develop a strategy for dissemination of evaluation findings and engagement of staff on learning processes;
- Support IFES Knowledge Management thematic groups in incorporating CLA into their operations and initiatives.
- Provide M&E services to support IFES programming and strengthen M&E capacity of IFES staff in HQ and the field
- Provide guidance and support to program teams at the program design and proposal phases in the development of M&E frameworks (Results Framework, Log Frames, M&E plans, theory of change)
- Work with program staff in the development of Performance Monitoring Plans (PMPs) for IFES projects and ensure that these tools incorporate standard IFES M&E practices and approaches;
- Design and conduct evaluations of IFES programs and program elements to inform project design and adaptations;
- Provide periodic, systematic support to program staff in ensuring the M&E plans are effectively implemented and M&E data is utilized for program reporting and planning purposes;
- Develop the capacity of regional program staff on M&E issues through periodic trainings and other capacity-building initiatives;
- Represent IFES at M&E meetings with IFES Consortium partners and work with M&E Director in coordinating M&E efforts with IFES partners;
- Undertake other duties as assigned related to IFES M&E activities.
- Support M&E Director in administrative management of unit, as well as outreach with external stakeholders
- Supervise the work of the Senior M&E Officer and M&E Coordinator in the development and oversight of project monitoring and evaluation plans;
- Work with Center leadership in organizing department-wide initiatives including weekly planning sessions, identification of training opportunities for staff, etc.;
- Liaise with peer M&E staff in development organizations as well as donor organizations for coordination on sectoral issues, and to communicate IFES M&E approaches and initiatives.
DECISION MAKING/PROBLEM SOLVING: Complex decision-making requiring in-depth analysis and consensus-building with program teams, subject to management review. Consult with stakeholders within and outside the organization on approaches used for M&E during programs; identify, propose and build consensus around best solutions. Provide substantive contribution to development of IFES tools, methodology and best practices for effective M&E. Authority to make decisions on issues related to M&E approaches for IFES programs, delegations to junior staff for assigned projects.
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Work with programs teams to forecast expected M&E labor resource needs during program implementation, and for specific evaluation approaches. Work with M&E Director to forecast M&E labor and resource needs for organization-focused initiatives.
RELATIONSHIPS: Must be able to maintain collaborative working relationship with team members and other staff in regional program divisions, and within the M&E unit. Partnerships require a high degree of diplomacy and judgment, with ability to address challenges in a constructive manner. Represent IFES with external contacts at professional and government levels.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervise, monitor and coordinate the work of entry level and professional staff to ensure the achievement of program goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the social sciences field from accredited university, required; Master’s degree strongly preferred;
- 8+ years of work experience in international development or related field, including at least 4 years of experience in M&E, research and learning, required;
- Professional background in international affairs, democracy, human rights and governance field, preferred;
- Knowledge of M&E concepts, M&E frameworks, and M&E management tools, required, familiarity with USAID’s M&E frameworks, strongly preferred;
- Ability to write clearly in analytical style, required;
- Ability to perform analysis of quantitative and qualitative data and develop charts and other data visualizations, preferred;
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word, strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of statistical software such as SPSS or STATA, preferred;
- Knowledge of qualitative coding software such as NVivo, a plus;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, preferred;
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English required. Proficiency in a foreign language a plus.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment, with occasional field travel. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.