Creative Associates seeks a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Libya focused on local governance and civil society. The MEL Manager will be responsible for establishing and implementing an effective system to monitor progress, impacts and successes of project activities and performance at all levels. The MEL Manager will also monitor all grant activities and sub-grantees and ensure that the project complies with USAID performance reporting requirements. S/he will conduct impact assessments, baseline studies, surveys and need assessments to identify necessary changes and future project opportunities. Additionally, as the project has a strong Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) component, the M&E Manager will be providing M&E technical assistance to project beneficiaries and stakeholders specifically on situation analysis, SMART indicators (output and outcome), indicator reference sheets, data collection protocols, data use strategies, reporting and results-based management best practices.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Chief of Party.
- The project MEL plan provides a framework for data collection, SMART performance indicators, and systems for monitoring and learning from activities through the period of performance.
- The project produces accurate and comprehensive qualitative and quantitative data about the outputs, outcomes, and impact of activities.
- The project uses monitoring and evaluation data to determine what aspects of the approach are effective or ineffective, and adjusts activities as needed.
- Makes operational decisions and manages the various components of the program dealing with M&E;
- Manages data collection, analysis and reporting on performance indicators by project team members and project counterparts;
- Develops the Project Management Plan setting out specific quantifiable performance indicators and targets for overall objectives and activities and establishing monitoring systems to measure project progress;
- Leads writing of quarterly technical reports; and
- Utilizes critical inputs, feedback, and assessments from evaluation partners to inform changes in program approaches and scale-up.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in social sciences, economics, international development, evaluation research, statistics, or a related field;
- At least five (5) years of experience in designing, managing and implementing results-based MEL activities;
- Experience analyzing quantitative and qualitative data;
- Experience working with an international development organization and knowledge of reporting procedures, best practices, guidelines and tools for monitoring and evaluation, especially impact evaluation;
- Experience working in an M&E or MEL role on a governance and/or civil society program;
- Knowledge of U.S. Government and other donor contracts, cooperative agreements, and grant regulations. S/he should be resourceful through technology, research skills, and relationship building and, with minimal supervision, be able to manage high volume work flow;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and relevant computer software skills with proficiency in Excel and other data management systems; and
- Speaking, writing, and reading proficiency in English.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience working preferably in a fragile or transitional state environment or security-challenged environments;
- Previous experience working in North Africa and on governance programs in insecure environments is desirable but not required; experience working in Libya is highly desirable, but not required; and
- Proficiency in Arabic is strongly preferred.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.