Land O’Lakes seeks a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager for an anticipated USAID Feed the Future Agricultural Growth Activity in Bangladesh. The purpose of the Activity is to increase the ability of the country’s agricultural private sector to more effectively manage their businesses while also increasing these businesses engagements at the farmer level, thereby enhancing farmers’ productivity and Bangladesh’s food security. The Activity builds upon past USAID investment in agricultural economic growth and agricultural value chains through the Agricultural Value Chains activity. The Activity will be closely linked with other FTF activities currently underway: Rice and Diversified Crops, Livestock Production for Improved Nutrition, Bangladesh Nutrition Activity, ACI-IRRI-PPP, CSISA Mechanization and Irrigation project, Meeting the Under-nutrition Challenge (MUCH), FAO Food Safety activity, Policy Research and Strategy Program, Biotechnology Partnership (Potato), and South Asia Eggplant Improvement Partnership.
The MEL Manager will be responsible for the development and oversight of all monitoring, evaluation and learning tasks for the Bangladesh Agriculture Growth Activity. This role will develop and implement a robust MEL system that meets the requirements and USAID and Land O’Lakes’ MEL policies, including a strong learning agenda, data quality assurance procedures, and compiling, processing, and analysis and documentation of activity data in compliance with USAID rules and regulations. Additionally, the MEL Manager will support the development and roll-out of a tablet-based data collection system that will assist in tracking indicators. The MEL Manager will also take an active role in adaptive management through active participation in stakeholder, learning and work planning meetings. The position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh and will report to the Chief of Party with technical support from the headquarters Global MEL staff.
- Lead the development of the MEL activity plan and update as necessary throughout the life of the project;
- Implement appropriate mechanisms for monitoring and tracking of program activities and results;
- Identify MEL training and STTA needs, ensure that these needs are met and provide training on M&E activities as needed;
- Manage a tablet-based data collection platform, including training staff ensuring timely data entry;
- Regularly review data collection processes, perform data quality assessments, and adjust as needed;
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of MEL and to identify where adaptations and improvements might be needed;
- Provide regular updates on project progress against key metrics to the Chief of Party for inclusion in donor reports, work planning and learning events
- Lead the regular sharing and learning from the findings of M&E data with program staff and partners.
- Assist project staff to use project data to report and disseminate evidence of project work to the wider community, USAID, Land O’Lakes, and other external stakeholders.
- Demonstrate the highest degree of integrity throughout all activities, and raise any concerns with implementation quality immediately with the Chief of Party.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field, including economics, statistics, business, etc.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in increasingly senior roles designing and implementing MEL systems, specific to the roles above. Experience with agriculture projects preferred
- Experience with MEL relating to private sector development using market systems approach, women’s economic empowerment, gender equality and/or social norms strongly preferred.
- Experience managing MEL for US government-funded projects, experience with USAID Feed the Future projects is preferred.
- Demonstrated competencies in mixed-methods evaluation.
- Experience implementing mobile or tablet-based data collection systems for data entry, analysis and storage of quantitative data.
- Computer literacy and competency in use of Microsoft Office software, competency in quantitative data analysis software (e.g. SPSS or Stata) preferred.
- Prior experience in Bangladesh is required.
- Fluency in English and Bengali is required.
- Excellent communications skills.
The position described above is contingent upon Activity award.
About the Organization
Since 1981, Land O’Lakes International Development has applied an integrated approach to international economic development that capitalizes on Land O'Lakes, Inc.'s nearly 100 years as a leading farm-to-market agribusiness. We use our practical experience and in-depth knowledge to facilitate market-driven business solutions that generate economic growth, improve health and nutrition, and alleviate poverty. We believe in the value of people and ensuring our work is rooted in honesty, integrity and respect.
As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, our vision is to be a global leader in transforming lives by engaging in agriculture and enterprise partnerships that replace poverty with prosperity, and dependency with self-reliance. Since our inception, we have implemented nearly 300 programs and training initiatives in over 80 countries, which have enabled farmers and agribusinesses to become more profitable and to leverage economies of scale through well-functioning cooperatives and producer groups.