LOCATION: Manila, Philippines
LEVEL OF EFFORT 60-90 days for a period of performance of 12 months
START DATE: March 2021
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more than a decade, ABA ROLI has focused on improving court efficiency, increasing business sector confidence, combating corruption, and expanding access to justice in the Philippines. By continuously working with a broad coalition of local partners — trial and appellate courts, the Supreme Court, the Philippine Judicial Academy, the Integrated Bar of the Philippines, universities, law schools, and a spectrum of civil society representatives — ABA ROLI is building local capacity to champion and uphold the rule of law.
Reporting to the Country Director, the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Expert will oversee the monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) of ABA ROLI’s activities across all projects in the Philippines, ensuring high quality and timely MEL data collection, analysis and reporting. The MEL Expert will ensure MEL systems are in place, and in accordance with MEL policies and other guidance, cooperative agreements, and commitments of ABA ROLI in its programs for the Philippines. The MEL Expert will be expected to ensure that monitoring activities are carried out in a credible and systematic manner; lessons and recommendations are used for improving projects’ implementation design and contribute to improving the priorities and results. The MEL Expert will provide guidance to program leads regarding M&E approaches and methodologies, and will provide support for ABA ROLI and its subgrant partners in meeting the requirements for MEL. The MEL Expert will oversee the Philippines MEL Assistant to ensure that thematic, program and project monitoring is carried out to the highest level.
I. Scope of Work
The MEL Expert shall provide the following services:
● Review program theory of change and/or logic model of Philippines programs based on MEL standards and best practices;
● Develop/ update MEL plans for programs in the Philippines, including a MEL implementation schedule that ensures data collection, analyses and reporting is completed in a timely manner;
● Develop ABA ROLI Philippines MEL processes and standards, including data quality and responsible data management standards in accordance to ABA ROLI guidance; and oversee its implementation across program areas and with subgrantees;
● Provide advice and guidance for MEL implementation of program leads and subgrantees;
● Design and facilitate learning activities (i.e pause and reflect sessions) with stakeholders of the program;
● Design MEL data collection tools such surveys, pre-and post tests, focus group discussions, and interview scripts where needed to measure program results and the factors that affect results;
● Where needed, train and provide advice for staff members and partners to collect and analyze MEL data;
● Analyze MEL data and ensure reporting is accomplished for monitoring, tracking, evaluation and learning efforts in a timely manner;
● Undertaking evaluations or desk evaluations/studies on selected themes;
● Under the Country Director’s guidance, develop plans for the utilization of evaluation findings and adaptation based on learning initiatives;
● Participate in meetings and represent ABA ROLI/Philippine office on MEL matter, when needed;
II. Selection Criteria
Education, Skills & Experience:
● Master’s Degree in public administration, public policy, development management/studies, social sciences, or other related areas, AND at least 5 years of experience in conducting monitoring, evaluation and learning for international development programs;
OR a Bachelor degree in these related fields AND at least 10 years of experience in conducting monitoring, evaluation and learning for development programs;
● Demonstrated experience in conducting MEL with both qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis;
● Knowledge of the latest USAID MEL guidance, policy, requirements, tools and templates is preferred;
● Previous work experience in the Philippines or Southeast Asian countries is preferred;
● Experience managing M&E systems with donors, including M&E capacity building;
● Excellent command of written & spoken English; command of spoken or written Filipino would be an asset;
● High level of computer literacy is essential, including in the use of statistical software, online surveys and other MEL tools for indicator monitoring and analysis.
Interested applicants may submit their cover letter and CV to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applications, you will only be contacted if you are short-listed.