The Prosperity Fund represents a key component of the prosperity pillar of the UK aid strategy. The Foreign Commonwealth Office-led Whitehall Prosperity Fund Better Health Programme (BHP) predominately seeks to address two key problems 1) the rising burden of non-communicable diseases and 2) variable and sub-optimal quality of health care.
In order to address these two problems, BHP Brazil aims to improve outcomes against three key pillars: digital health, provider performance improvement and life sciences initiatives. Support will be provided to strengthen data infrastructure and resource allocation systems; support regulating research and embedding evidence in to routine practice; and strengthen primary care training and performance improvement to ensure early diagnosis and ongoing management of chronic conditions.
The broader BHP Brazil team and this role will be based in Brasilia, Brazil.
The MEL Manager is responsible is responsible for:
- Leading the design and oversight of all monitoring, evaluation and learning elements within the programme, ensuring alignment with FCO’s objectives;
- Overseeing the theory of change, log frames, indicators and other core monitoring tools in consultation with stakeholders;
- Developing and leading a robust platform for continuous learning, collaboration and adaption;
- Leading development and implementation of project evaluation, including development of evaluation methodology and data collection tools; and dissemination of evaluation outputs to multiple stakeholders including reports, peer reviewed publications, and community feedback materials;
- Coordinating and ensuring quality of M&E data, analysis and reporting from multiple sources;
- Focussing on strengthening the national health information system, building capacity of staff and partners, and improving alignment and support to host-country M&E systems in line with programme objectives;
- Establishing a coordination strategy with the Prosperity Fund portfolio-level M&E delivery agents and contribute to broader log frame;
- Work with partners including short term consultants and the Evaluation and Learning Contractor to design and deliver quality discrete M&E outputs as required;
- Collaborate and contribute to peer-to-peer networks across Abt Associates, specifically within M&E and health networks, and with existing in-country programme teams.
- Fluent English and Portuguese. Fluency in both languages (speaking and writing) is a MUST;
- Master’s Degree or higher in monitoring and evaluation, public health, demography, health management, social science, biostatistics, statistics, or a related field required;
- Demonstrated experience in leading monitoring, evaluation and research efforts;
- In depth understanding of and effective application of cost-benefit analysis, return on investment analysis, and Value for Money;
- Analytical mindset, proven ability and strong track record in concisely communicating information and conveying key messages to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Strong track record of engagement with other donor programmes
- Proven experience leading design of M&E systems for international development programmes e.g. health systems strengthening, family planning;
- Ability to foster and develop working partnerships with in-country government representatives, partners, donors and other key stakeholders;
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively;
- Experience operating MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and data management software;
- Legal right to reside and work in Brazil
For Further Information and Application Details
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associate’s website, and should include a current CV, cover letter and a response to the key selection criteria as outlined in the Terms of Reference.
The closing date for applications is 09 August 2020
We welcome and thank all applications however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women.
Please note, candidates must be fluent in English and Portuguese and have the legal right to live and work in Brazil.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.