Please submit your CV and Cover Letter to LiberiaTESTS@impaqint.com. In the subject line please indicate the MEL Specialist Position.
Founded in 2001, IMPAQ has grown into a world-class research, data, technical assistance, and capacity building organization with over 370 staff across the globe. IMPAQ has successfully implemented government contracts and grants for research, evaluation, program monitoring, and technical assistance and capacity building in the United States and in more than 43 countries.
IMPAQ’s mission is to bring together exceptional people to develop innovative and rigorous approaches to make a real-world impact on social policies and programs. With our experienced team of experts and through our suite of diverse tools, we facilitate a clearer understanding of the impacts and implications of legal, policy, and programming decisions. We provide practical, evidence-driven ways to improve efficiency, effectiveness, and return on investment, particularly in response to declining budgets and increased expectations.
IMPAQ has a diverse and collegial work environment and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/Disability/Veterans).
IMPAQ International is actively seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist for an anticipated five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID) teacher training (MEL) program in Liberia. USAID Liberia aims to improve the quality of targeted Liberian Early Childhood Education (ECE) and primary teachers’ instructional delivery. Its purpose is to (1) strengthen the capacity of selected public, private and faith-based institutions to train teachers so that they are capable of delivering quality instructions; (2) build critical skills for quality teaching; and (3) improve the enabling environment for teaching practice.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist will play a key technical role in the monitoring, evaluation, analytical, collaboration, learning and adaptation (CLA), as well as knowledge management needs of program implementation. The candidate is expected to collaborate with the project staff, HQ and other stakeholders in the design and implementation of M&E plans, develop resources and provide technical guidance and training on methodologies and data collection tools, build HQ and field staff capacity, and strengthen monitoring systems.
The position will be full-time and be based in Monrovia, Liberia with regular travel throughout the project area.
- Responsible for the design, quality, development and completion of all assessments, analytical reports and evaluations.
- Lead and oversee the review of Performance Management Plans (PMPs), support such technical work as reviewing reporting methods, carrying out training needs, designing tools and advising on USAID and implementing partners on their M&E work, including field monitoring and data quality assurance (DQA).
- Provide raw data to USAID for tracking purposes.
- Monitor indicator data to identify any gender gaps (the extent to which females and males are participating in and benefiting from projects and activities).
- Analyze performance and context monitoring data to extrapolate relevant information and provide written and oral briefings to USAID to inform management and adapt interventions.
- Examine technical reports and deliverables to review performance data.
- Meet with implementing partner staff and other stakeholders to discuss data collection methods.
- Prepare written and oral reports on DQA findings and provide recommendations on how to address deficiencies identified.
- Work with implementing partners to develop actions plans that address the report recommendations.
- Contribute substantively to the design and field testing of the evaluation methodology, participatory data collection methods and protocols, data verification techniques, and other technical evaluation and analytical tasks as needed.
- Lead workshops with stakeholders and USAID staff during refinement period.
- Ability and willingness to work for extended periods in insecure and diverse environments.
Qualifications (Education, Knowledge and Experience)
- At minimum 5 years’ professional experience in evaluation, strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, DQA, M&E capacity building, report writing, CLA, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans for international development clients with specific experience with USAID;
- Proven experience establishing and maintaining systems for performance management;
- Past success in designing, implementing, and efficiently operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages at the field-level;
- Experience building and maintaining working relations with stakeholders, and demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively interface (and represent IMPAQ) with donor agency counterparts, government officials, partner organizations, and other stakeholders;
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced, small-team environment;
- Flexible, team-oriented attitude and strong organizational skills with exceptional “customer service” skills and mindset;
- Master’s degree in international development/affairs, economics, or similar field preferred.
- Experience leading the development of comprehensive M&E, learning and adaptive management approaches and programs preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in cross-cultural settings;
- Ability to work well independently with limited supervision;
- Strong track record of progressively more responsible duties and responsibilities, including project management on USAID-funded programs/activities;
- Strong interest in evaluations, performance monitoring, data collection, donor assistance impact, and related issues;
- Deep familiarity with Liberian culture, society and development context or that of other similar countries in the region.
IMPAQ International, LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/Disability/Veterans).
About the Organization
IMPAQ International is a US-based firm providing exemplary research and consulting services to domestic and international clients in the areas of impact evaluation and program evaluation studies, applied research, policy analysis, quantitative and qualitative data analysis, and technical assistance. IMPAQ International, LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/Disability/Veterans).