Abt Associates seeks a qualified Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager for USAID/Bangladesh’s Nutrition Activity (BNA). The goal of BNA is to contribute to improvements in nutrition outcomes for children under five, pregnant and lactating women, and adolescent girls in the Feed the Future Zone of Influence (ZOI) by (1) increasing consumption of nutritious, diverse, and safe diets by rural households; (2) increasing social and economic empowerment of girls and women; and (3) improving adoption of improved water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) practices. BNA will implement nutrition-sensitive interventions that complement and reinforce ongoing nutrition-specific activities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Supervise the Monitoring, Adaptation, and Learning Specialist and the Data Quality Management Officer, including identifying capacity building needs and coordinating with Abt Home Office to ensure that these needs can be met.
- Lead the implementation of the project MEL Plan, indicators, and learning agenda, including developing relevant indicators.
- Contribute to the development of project performance monitoring databases.
- Monitor and manage project performance monitoring databases.
- Manage a rigorous approach to M&E to measure performance toward specific goals and objectives, including quantitative, qualitative, and participatory methodologies.
- Design data collection tools, schedules, analysis methods, and applied learning approaches for stakeholder training.
- In consultation with the GIS Specialist at USAID/Bangladesh, provide program/activity location data as derived from GPS units or through a digital map interface.
- Be responsive to all USAID/Bangladesh requests for BNA-related geographically referenced data.
- Support Abt Head Office Team to oversee implementation of a baseline study, annual surveys, mid-term reviews, and/or final evaluations on the indicators, including review of tools and survey methodology and review of data quality.
- Support Abt Head Office Team to review baseline analysis and provide feedback, as requested, on a timely basis.
- Oversee and lead quantitative data collection processes and strategies.
- Contribute to quarterly strategy reviews as well as drafting core components of program progress reports to the donor.
- Drive the project’s overall learning agenda to derive lessons learned and best practices from project activities and contribute to quarterly program evaluations.
- Design and maintain integrity of project’s MEL database by ensuring all staff have passwords relevant to their job responsibility to ensure security of the database, in coordination with Abt Home Office.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, social science, development economics or a related field (Masters preferred)
- At least eight years of experience in data management and analysis for M&E, learning, and adaptive management.
- Skills in quantitative analytical methods, data collection and analysis, and establishing MEL systems.
- Experience in managing complex databases, integrating GIS modules into databases, and designing mobile data collection tools to facilitate population of databases.
- Experience in leading teams
- Demonstrated ability to lead baseline data collection.
- Basic understanding of qualitative analytical models to support execution of responsibilities of Knowledge Management Specialist
- Knowledge of and experience with M&E frameworks and reporting systems.
- Experience with USAID programming highly preferred
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and other MS Office software; data analysis software, e.g., SPSS or Stata, ODK, Kobi
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability working collaboratively and independently.
- Demonstrated team leader and player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representatives, and senior-level staff.
- Verbal and written fluency in both English and Bangla along with strong communications, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Experience in Bangladesh performing similar tasks.
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.