The Monitoring and Evaluation Manager (M&E Manager) will oversee Global Communities Yemen’s M&E system procedures and systems, including designing and implementing program-specific M&E plans, training local M&E staff on monitoring procedures and tools, and building the capacity of local Global Communities’ M&E staff to conduct program monitoring and evaluation in line with donor requirements. Global Communities’ current programming in Yemen includes the Continued Recovery, Emergency Assistance and Training Engagement in Yemen (CREATE Yemen) Program, an early recovery program in southern Yemen that includes the distribution of livestock and agricultural inputs, hygiene training, and livelihoods activities. Global Communities is also implementing the Northern Support to Yemen for Infrastructure, Cash Assistance and Livelihoods (NSYNC Livelihoods) Program, which distributes agricultural inputs, provides hygiene training, and conducts water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure rehabilitation projects in northern Yemen. The M&E Manager will collaborate with the Yemen Country Director and the Department of Humanitarian Assistance (HA) in the ongoing development of an overall program monitoring strategy for Yemen.
This position will be based in either Global Communities’ office in Sana’a or Aden, Yemen with travel to the other major Global Communities’ offices in-country as appropriate. This position reports to the Yemen Country Director. This is an unaccompanied post.
* Develop and implement in close consultation with program and operations staff program-specific M&E plans, including data entry, storage and security, and reporting.
* Review monitoring data collected to date and identify discrepancies and weaknesses; work with local staff to correct any identified deficiencies.
* Guide staff in the preparation, revision, and implementation of a regular monitoring site-visit schedule.
* Analyze data and results of monitoring and evaluation activities; engage in discussions with the Country Director and technical staff about findings, including providing recommendations on adjustments to programming as needed.
* Work closely with program staff to design and conduct program assessments, surveys, and case studies, as required.
* Contribute to work plans, donor reports, success stories, and other deliverables.
* Review sub-grantee M&E plans as required; advise sub-grantees on the development of indicators, data collection methodologies, data quality assurance, and indicator reporting.
* Manage a team of approximately four local national staff.
* Identify key strengths and weaknesses in local M&E staff members, and provide training and guidance to build their capacity and understanding of M&E, including on data quality assurance principles and procedures.
* In coordination with the Country Director, ensure the incorporation of USAID policy and humanitarian principles into M&E plans and activities.
* All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Experience designing M&E systems, indicators and monitoring plans.
* Prior experience in remote management or remote M&E.
* Proficient in USAID regulations; prior experience working on USAID-funded programs.
* Experience working with local national staff and building local capacity.
* Prior experience in the MENA region desirable.
* Fluency in English; working knowledge of Arabic highly desirable.
* A Master’s degree in relevant discipline and a minimum of 2 years of Monitoring & Evaluation experience or a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline and a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience, with at least three years of M&E experience.
* Equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Past work with international donor funded programs preferred.