Ensure quality goods and services are delivered in a timely, cost effective manner to Medair Projects. Take an active lead role in the management of the country supply chain for the South Sudan Programme in close coordination and liaison with the Juba logistics manager, transport coordinator and field locations. All activities are carried out in line with Medair policies and procedures and according to any applicable donor, HQ or field guidelines.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation, and non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan.
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Supply Chain Management
- Manage and oversee the supply chain for Medair South Sudan to ensure all Medair field projects receive required supplies and equipment accurately, on time, in budget and to required quality.
- Develop and maintain an efficient and transparent workflow process of the supply chain in Juba.
- Work together with IT to improve information flows and work on a supply chain management system.
Warehousing - Physical Stock Management
- Together with the warehouse manager, structure and organise the warehouse and compound to ensure good order, tidiness, access to stock and adequate space for receiving, packing and dispatching stock all according to the Medair Stock Management Guidelines.
- Responsible for quality stock control, including proper storage and packaging of stock inventory.
Warehousing - Information & Inventory Management
- Complete the implementation of administrative stock management documents as per Medair procedure such as stock cards, for all stock items. Ensure these are updated with actual stock movement.
- Document a complete physical stock count at least every 2 months and weekly spot checks.
Procurement & Transport – Cargo
- Implement selected supplier lists, price lists, conduct price controls, market research and consolidate orders where possible.
- Work towards contracting suppliers through competitive processes, to achieve efficient and consistent procurement with maximum value for money.
- Ensure all procurement activities are carried out in line with Medair guidelines and procedures and according to any donor requirements.
- Coordinate with the Transport Officer for cargo coming from Nairobi and new local purchases coming to the warehouse.
- Line Manage the Procurement Officers and Warehouse Manager. This includes: setting objectives; supporting and encouraging the team to take ownership of PR’s seeking clarification on items pre-purchase and the stock management process; Quality Assurance of items when delivered; enduring their communication of items ready for the field to Procurement Manager; dealing with any issues raised by the field on quality / incorrect items; build relationships with staff.
- Oversee procurement as an end-to-end service to Programmes; only close out orders on the BOF when confirmed as correctly received items in the field.
- Develop strong, open and trustful relationships with Project Managers, have an understanding of their procurement plans for the coming 6-12 months and understand what their urgent needs are.
- Key coordination and responsibility for the relationship with HQ logistics and Nairobi logistics, acting as the focal point for requesting quotes and feeding back information to the field teams and then funnelling PR’s as appropriate to Nairobi / HQ.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional / vocational / technical qualification in a relevant field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Experience in managing Supply Chain processes and information flows; 2 years’ experience in Procurement.
- Problem solving ability. Attention to detail. Quick learner with practical, precise approach.
- Able to make decisions within a consultative framework. Team-manager with good inter-personal skills.
- Willing to make and communicate tough decisions and prioritise work to meet deadlines.
- Competent with administrative tasks. Respectful, accountable, honest
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.