EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The International Development Division has an opening for a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist reporting to the Managing Project Director. This is a full-time position located in Honduras.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will provide overall technical oversight and guidance to the Honduras Reading Activity’s research design, monitoring and evaluation efforts. They will bear ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the program is able to track and report on achieved improved outcomes in reading. Also responsible for developing the Measurement, Evaluation and Learning Plan for the program to ensure both technical and management monitoring of program implementation and achievement of outcome and impact level indicators. They will take a leadership role in coordination among USAID and key stakeholders, and other implementing partners on matters related to monitoring and evaluation. The M&E Specialist will demonstrate strong management and technical skills, as well as the ability to work in complex, politically charged, unstable environments, work across different cultures, and manage a small team to deliver impact within agreed timelines.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
By having overall responsibility for leading and managing an international project’s monitoring and evaluation and learning aspects in the field — in collaboration with the Project Director and in accordance with EDC, funder, and host country requirements — to achieve project success the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist:
- Assists Chief of Party in development and implementation of work plan and research agenda, strategizing, setting technical priorities, and reviewing technical progress related to monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Establishes data collection strategies; improves data processing and reporting
- Develops and monitors technical deliverables related to monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Determines resource needs and oversees resource use
- Meets contractual obligations
- Implements regulatory compliance directives appropriate to the host country & funder
- Advises on monitoring and evaluation; oversees quality control
- Participates in decisions concerning training content and format
- Plans and manages information communication technologies related to the project database
- Manages short-term consultancies
- Conveys organizational philosophy and values
- Develops policies & procedures to improve efficiency and quality, in conjunction with home office
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
- Is responsible for partnering successfully with Chief of Party and Home Office Project Director and with expatriate and local staff
- Helps represent EDC and the project in the host country; liaises with government officials, civil society, other partners and clients, funders, and vendors
- Demonstrates diplomacy and leadership to foster an atmosphere of teamwork, productivity, creativity, fairness, equity, and innovation, in support of EDC’s commitment to diversity
- Negotiates and mediates effectively
- Interacts with large numbers of program participants or team members, guiding feedback exchanges, facilitating problem-solving, and providing expertise
- Troubleshoots problems and proposes solutions
- Fosters excellent communications among all parties, including with EDC home offices
- May supervise technical staff; directs and coordinates work of technical staff
- May organize and coach teams
- May oversee training programs, workshops, conferences, or other collaborations
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
- Master’s degree
- PhD preferred
- 5-8 years related experience, including a minimum of 5 years supervisory/project management or program development experience
- With PhD, 3-5 years related experience (as above)
- Specific technical expertise relevant to the projects, programs and operations
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Excellent analytical skills and aptitude for details
- Capacity to work in difficult conditions and function well under pressure
- Proficiency in English and Spanish
- Extensive international experience and experience in a developing country essential
EDC, 43 Foundry Ave, Waltham, MA 02453
No phone calls, please
As an EOE/AA employer, EDC does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.